Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 08-28-2018, 07:05 AM   #21
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

I am no expert on it as to its need and application but what I have been told and experienced a bead on that part of a gun can't be used in active shooting at anything in way of a moving target. I guess there are times when you need to use those two points to quickly check gun mount's point of reference when practice mounting gun to make sure gun is aligned and pointing to what your looking at and maybe a point of impact. Sort of like a quick reference bore site. Have seen plenty of mid barrel beads but never one so far back on a shotgun. I guess the further the distance between the two beads gives a more refined or tighter reference point.

Here is a cliche` article I saw on it that confirms probably what we have all been told about shotgun shooting ad nausea-em. But it is on the interweb so it must be confirmed gospel. BTW the whole fiugure 8 description made my head spin for a few moments trying to wrap my mind around what he was saying

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/reall...-bead-shotgun/

Tom Knapp was supposedly a big endorser of optic front bead sight later in his career, but I think he was just a paid spokesman. He was such a good shot contrary to what he said in endorsements he did not need that product. He got damn good way before any glowing, good thought bad idea, bead came back on the market.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2018, 08:17 AM   #22
Chris T.
PGCA Member

Member Info

It must be used as a reference for mounting the gun. I can honestly say I give zero thought to the beads when I'm shooting, if you're looing at the bead(s) you're probably not looking at the target. I do however use the front and middle beads to get a feel for mounting the gun, when the front and mid beads are stacked I know everything is where it needs to be.
Chris Travinski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Travinski For Your Post:
Unread 08-28-2018, 10:15 AM   #23
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,889 Times in 4,765 Posts

Nick may have received a "new" gunsamerica email about the gun, but the gun was listed by Albright's several years ago. I have handled the gun and naysayers should go back to bed. This is an original gun, it is in the SB serial number range for Vulcan barrels being installed on some graded guns. The SB entries for these early Vulcan barrel guns include 82225 to 82230, 82232 to 82234, and 82269 to 82275. These are true Parker prototypes for black barrels and were probably not ordered by anyone. Our organization should live up to it's proclaimed mission of sharing information with its members and publish the order book information on these important early guns. I will be anxiously awaiting the always present invitation for me to pay my multiples of $40 and order letters. No thanks, the PGCA owes it to its members to assist in the study of guns like these.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2018, 10:38 AM   #24
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,983 Times in 1,425 Posts

Bill, I don't want to disappoint you so why don't you pony up the $40 for a letter? You always ask other members to write a check and get a letter. You also ask members to post a copy of their letters on this web site. Once you get the letter, you can post it for all to see.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2018, 10:52 AM   #25
Nick de Guerre
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Travinski View Post
I do however use the front and middle beads to get a feel for mounting the gun, when the front and mid beads are stacked I know everything is where it needs to be.
Chris,

I agree. This is the one and only benefit I have ever found for a mid bead on a non-turkey shotgun. And even then, once I really have a feel for the cheek mount on a particular gun, it sits right back in the right spot on it's own.

THAT said, I'm still perplexed as to what the real purpose of a lever mounted bead would be...especially given the lever is going to move over time. As exactly zero people need to be told on this forum, no one "aims" a shotgun for any purpose other than turkey...or burglar.

Perhaps only for turkey.

- NDG
Nick de Guerre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick de Guerre For Your Post:
Unread 08-28-2018, 11:09 AM   #26
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Review the Parker Pages article on the "Gold Hearts" gun by Austin Hogan if you want to see some outrageous sights close to the eye. Sorry, I don't have a date reference for the issue. Thanks to Chuck for his regular juvenile post about "Murphy should order some letters." He beat the other guy to the punch. Chuck knows that I am not afraid to order a letter and some have been ordered for guns I do not own. Chuck also knows that I have shared more research information than anyone who has ever posted on this forum, and will continue to do so. And, although I am criticized for doing so, I will continue to suggest that owners of interesting Parker guns and those contemplating purchasing such guns order PGCA letters on those guns. I don't understand why Chuck objects to my suggestions. Maybe he is overworked in his position of Chief Researcher. He is certainly appreciated by those of us who purchase his services.
Unread 08-28-2018, 11:19 AM   #27
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Travinski View Post
It must be used as a reference for mounting the gun. I can honestly say I give zero thought to the beads when I'm shooting, if you're looing at the bead(s) you're probably not looking at the target. I do however use the front and middle beads to get a feel for mounting the gun, when the front and mid beads are stacked I know everything is where it needs to be.
I agree. If looking at bead, then your aiming. When aiming, at least for me, I have tendency stop swinging gun effectively. Also I am not a big hand gun guy, as a matter of factor don't even own one, but have shot enough to learn sight picture. The old mantra of when "In a fight, front sight". Which means sight picture is focused on front sight for aiming purposes making rear sights and general target area blurry. Human eyes cannot focus very well on more than one item. The good shot-gunners I know always focus on something very small on the moving target, meaning that any sight on gun has to be either blurry or unnoticeable. Maybe an optic front bead may help as long as eye control is fixed on target, but don't have alot of experience with it. Besides if someone would put one of those on a Parker or old sxs, that might be a tar and feathering offense.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2018, 11:22 AM   #28
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,639 Times in 4,629 Posts

It was not the wishes of Remington for the records to be available to anyone and everyone. It was for use by the PGCA to be able to have a basis for an association as well as an income source to help sustain said association.

Individual use of them for individual purposes was not the intent. It was individual abuse of this that got the doors closed at Remington to the PGCA for a very long time. There is still bad blood over that to this day with some.
But, you know all about it Bill, so I do not need to remind you.
Unread 08-28-2018, 01:42 PM   #29
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Posting of order book copies of interesting guns like these black barrel graded guns on the PGCA forum would not go against anything that Remington planned for these books. Don't get your shorts in such a dither about nothing. If Chuck and his order books got into this discussion of these interesting guns, it wouldn't cost Chuck, Remington, or anyone else anything. It would, however, give some credibility to the original reason for the existence of the PGCA, which is the study and research of the Parker shotgun.
Unread 08-28-2018, 03:55 PM   #30
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

Interesting, didn't realize PGCA was on bad terms with Remington. Personally I think the PGCA does a pretty good job of promoting and researching the parker gun.