Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Unread 05-17-2017, 01:01 AM   #21
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,361 Times in 1,310 Posts

Awful, just awful.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 05-17-2017, 02:22 AM   #22
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,248 Times in 1,125 Posts

Chuck, I am very sorry to hear of the loss of Traci`s beautiful pointer, Wally. I am not very good at losing dogs, but I know this is what we sign up for each and every time we bring a new puppy home.
I pray that we are reunited on the other side of the bridge.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2017, 07:50 AM   #23
chuck brunner
PGCA Member

Member Info

You guys are the best.....Traci and I are blessed to have so many friends. What kind words. Our faith is what gives us hope. What a reunion it will be!
chuck brunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2017, 08:08 AM   #24
chuck brunner
PGCA Member

Member Info

* Dean Romig directed me to this. No truer words spoken
Amen!

Where To Bury A Dog

There are various places within which a dog may be buried. We are thinking now of a setter, whose coat was flame in the sunshine, and who, so far as we are aware, never entertained a mean or an unworthy thought. This setter is buried beneath a cherry tree, under four feet of garden loam, and at its proper season the cherry strews petals on the green lawn of his grave. Beneath a cherry tree, or an apple, or any flowering shrub of the garden, is an excellent place to bury a good dog. Beneath such trees, such shrubs, he slept in the drowsy summer, or gnawed at a flavorous bone, or lifted head to challenge some strange intruder. These are good places, in life or in death. Yet it is a small matter, and it touches sentiment more than anything else.

For if the dog be well remembered, if sometimes he leaps through your dreams actual as in life, eyes kindling, questing, asking, laughing, begging, it matters not at all where that dog sleeps at long and at last. On a hill where the wind is unrebuked and the trees are roaring, or beside a stream he knew in puppyhood, or somewhere in the flatness of a pasture land, where most exhilarating cattle graze. It is all one to the dog, and all one to you, and nothing is gained, and nothing lost -- if memory lives. But there is one best place to bury a dog. One place that is best of all.

If you bury him in this spot, the secret of which you must already have, he will come to you when you call -- come to you over the grim, dim frontiers of death, and down the well-remembered path, and to your side again. And though you call a dozen living dogs to heel they should not growl at him, nor resent his coming, for he is yours and he belongs there.

People may scoff at you, who see no lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who hear no whimper pitched too fine for mere audition, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them then, for you shall know something that is hidden from them, and which is well worth the knowing.

The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master.

by Ben Hur Lampman
chuck brunner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chuck brunner For Your Post:
Unread 05-17-2017, 08:18 AM   #25
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,554 Times in 1,095 Posts

Hello Chuck , I haven't been on site for a few days and just read your post ,I am very sorry for your loss !!!!!!! Since we had to put Old Chip down a couple of years back , we haven't got another and I have just about given up Bird hunting ! I go with my one Buddy once in a while and his Pointer but it just isn't the same excitement as watching your own Family Member and the one you put so much time with perform what they love most !
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2017, 08:43 AM   #26
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Chuck and Traci you have my deepest condolences. Most of us here have been where your at and would gladly sign up to do it all over again, the pain of loss doesn't outweigh the years of joy and love given unconditionally by our canine family members.

I only met Wallace one but he wiggled his way into my heart and has always remained there. For some reason that I can't explain I instantly fell in love with Wallace and on more than one occasion I tried to get him to Michigan to hunt grouse. Wallace left his mark on me and it's one that will never be forgotten. I miss him.
Unread 05-17-2017, 08:58 AM   #27
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,099 Times in 673 Posts

There are not words to express the grief of losing a bird dog. No prose is fitting nor will it soften the sorrow we feel. Yet, as others have said, I am sorry to hear of your loss.

A bit over a year ago I lost my oldest setter. I buried him at the edge of a habitat improvement project that has turned into first class grouse cover. His collar and bell is affixed to his headstone. This spring a cock grouse has taken up residence on a log not 10 yards from his grave. He drums constantly and every once in a while I hear the tinkle of Trappers bell. I think they are enjoying each others company.

You too will find such a place to put Wally to rest!
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2017, 10:40 AM   #28
Garth Gustafson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,344 Times in 371 Posts

Chuck and Traci,
My heartfelt sympathies go out to you. We put Teddy, our Springer down 2-1/2 months ago and his loss still tears at our hearts. We feel his presence in the house every day. Your special memories of Wally will always sustain you and provide comfort knowing that Wally was loved and lived a full and great life.

Garth
Garth Gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2017, 12:54 PM   #29
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

A dog's life is too short as it it, and to have it curtailed like this is even more heartbreaking. We don't know each other, but we have the loss of a being that shared life with us in common. I won't say I know how you feel, but if it's as I have after losing one of my hunting dogs, all I can say is that I hope the pain of this loss eases with time and that you can soon smile at the good memories that will come with time.

Hold those you love close...every day.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2017, 02:18 PM   #30
Allen Peterson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Very sorry for your loss.
Allen Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote