Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #11
Member
Dane Atkinson
Forum Associate
 
DaneRAtkinson's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 68
Thanks: 8
Thanked 23 Times in 12 Posts

Default

Many people have told me the stock is not original, do you think the letter would tell me when/if it was replaced?
DaneRAtkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #12
Member
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member
 
Mark Ouellette's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,042
Thanks: 1,513
Thanked 2,897 Times in 789 Posts

Default

A Parker research letter will note if the gun was ordered with a Monte Carlo or high comb.

If a repair record exists for a stock replacement it will note that also. A stock replaced at Parker Brothers counts as original to the gun to collectors.
__________________
Don't hunt with a gun that will embarrass your dog!

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #13
Member
Dane Atkinson
Forum Associate
 
DaneRAtkinson's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 68
Thanks: 8
Thanked 23 Times in 12 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ouellette View Post
A Parker research letter will note if the gun was ordered with a Monte Carlo or high comb.

If a repair record exists for a stock replacement it will note that also. A stock replaced at Parker Brothers counts as original to the gun to collectors.
Did Parker make Monte Carlo stocks? Not that I would take the gun apart but would there be markings on it?
DaneRAtkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #14
Member
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,430
Thanks: 215
Thanked 1,721 Times in 686 Posts

Default

Yes. Such stocks were made. The head of this stock looks very original to me. the only odd thing is that the stock oval looks a bit larger than usual... but it could just be the photos/lensing.
A letter on this gun would be WELL worth the investment.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #15
Member
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
Brian Dudley's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,773
Thanks: 220
Thanked 7,603 Times in 2,284 Posts

Default

This is a very nice and interesting DH that you have here. Yes it has a few things that need addressing like screws and the pad.
The barrel finish is very nice. Looks like it still has a lot of good black / white contrast remaining. There are not a lot of good photos of the wood, so it is hard to say what it could benefit from in that arena, if anything. Maybe just some finish added and checkering cleaned up. It all depends on how nice you want it.

The pad should be replaced for sure.
The stock very well could be original. It certainly has age to it. If there are factory records on the gun, it would surely say if it was ordered with a Monte Carlo comb. If it was, then excellent! It makes a nice gun even nicer. Parker guns could be special ordered with this feature. You should order a letter for sure if there are records. That way the originality of the stock cannot be questioned.

By the way, the stock oval looks 100% correct to me. And it is retained with 6 nails as it should be.

The factory stamped serial number and the grade letter "3" will be stamped under the guard bow.
__________________
B. Dudley
Brian Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 03-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #16
Member
Dane Atkinson
Forum Associate
 
DaneRAtkinson's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 68
Thanks: 8
Thanked 23 Times in 12 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
This is a very nice and interesting DH that you have here. Yes it has a few things that need addressing like screws and the pad.
The barrel finish is very nice. Looks like it still has a lot of good black / white contrast remaining. There are not a lot of good photos of the wood, so it is hard to say what it could benefit from in that arena, if anything. Maybe just some finish added and checkering cleaned up. It all depends on how nice you want it.

The pad should be replaced for sure.
The stock very well could be original. It certainly has age to it. If there are factory records on the gun, it would surely say if it was ordered with a Monte Carlo comb. If it was, then excellent! It makes a nice gun even nicer. Parker guns could be special ordered with this feature. You should order a letter for sure if there are records. That way the originality of the stock cannot be questioned.

By the way, the stock oval looks 100% correct to me. And it is retained with 6 nails as it should be.

The factory stamped serial number and the grade letter "3" will be stamped under the guard bow.
Brian, thanks for all the info. I will definatly get a letter. The gun does have the D3 on the water table. Does that mean it came with a Monte Carlo?
DaneRAtkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #17
Member
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime
Member Since
Second Grade

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 10,811
Thanks: 3,863
Thanked 4,449 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default

No, the D and 3 are the letter and number grade. The Monte Carlo stock looks very original and is a very rare option, indicating it was probably ordered by a competition shooter. The letter may identify that shooter. I will help you figure out who he was and what his claim to fame is. Don't throw the old pad away. A collector may want to have it to bring the gun back to original condition. Allow no modification to the butt that will prevent the old pad from fitting back on. Let us know about your letter.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #18
Member
Dane Atkinson
Forum Associate
 
DaneRAtkinson's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 68
Thanks: 8
Thanked 23 Times in 12 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
No, the D and 3 are the letter and number grade. The Monte Carlo stock looks very original and is a very rare option, indicating it was probably ordered by a competition shooter. The letter may identify that shooter. I will help you figure out who he was and what his claim to fame is. Don't throw the old pad away. A collector may want to have it to bring the gun back to original condition. Allow no modification to the butt that will prevent the old pad from fitting back on. Let us know about your letter.
The trigger guard has some initials on it...
DaneRAtkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #19
Member
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
Brian Dudley's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,773
Thanks: 220
Thanked 7,603 Times in 2,284 Posts

Default

"Monte Carlo" is the name that is given to this type of comb that is relatively flat in drop and then slopes down sharply just before the buttplate or pad.
It is commonly used by trap shooters where a higher comb is wanted, but a lower mounting point on the shoulder is desired. If these type of stocks did not have a Monte Carlo comb, they would end up looking like boat paddles.
__________________
B. Dudley
Brian Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 03-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #20
Member
Dean Romig
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
Dean Romig's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 21,287
Thanks: 17,708
Thanked 16,261 Times in 6,655 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
No, the D and 3 are the letter and number grade. The Monte Carlo stock looks very original and is a very rare option, indicating it was probably ordered by a competition shooter. The letter may identify that shooter. I will help you figure out who he was and what his claim to fame is. Don't throw the old pad away. A collector may want to have it to bring the gun back to original condition. Allow no modification to the butt that will prevent the old pad from fitting back on. Let us know about your letter.

The stock appears absolutely original and please heed Bill's advice.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2019, Parkerguns.org
Copyright 2004 Design par Megatekno
- 2008 style update 3.7 avec l'autorisation de son auteur par Stradfred.