Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-17-2019, 02:28 PM   #11
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,772 Times in 2,352 Posts

No one can actually tell you over the internet what ammunition may or may not be safe in a given gun. We can only say what we do or know.

From just after WW-II until he quit hunting after the 1987/8 season my Father shot an 1896 vintage 12-gauge AE-Grade Remington Hammerless Double. He didn't hesitate to use Western Super-X, Remington Express, Federal Hi-Power, etc. He also had a 16-gauge AE-Grade of about 1907 vintage which he didn't use nearly as much and which was stolen out of his house in the 1970s. Serial number P136036 in case anyone sees it! My Grandfather couldn't get the hang of that new fangled Winchester pump he'd gotten and in 1901 traded it off at Kennedy Bros. for an 1890 vintage heavy PH-Grade Parker Bros. 12-gauge. My Father along with his five brothers grew up shooting that Parker. They all believed those Damascus barrel warnings on ammunition boxes were a desperate attempt by the makers to sell some new guns in those tough Great Depression years.

From the mid-1930s my Father had a 12-gauge KED-Grade Remington Hammerless Double, which he gave to his youngest brother when he returned from his stint with Patton's 3rd Army in WW-II. Dad had his AE-Grade out here in Washington and had the KED-Grade to use when he went to Minnesota to hunt with his Father and brothers. My Father with the KED-Grade and Grandfather with his Parker Bros. in the fall of 1948 --

Golden Wedding Pheasants.jpg

The AE-Grade is still fine and resides in my gun room. Grandpa's Parker continued in use for another thirty years after his death with my Uncle Howard to about 1984. It has passed through his family, none who hunt or shoot. The KED-Grade was damaged by some of my Cousins using it in the early days of steel shot. Bulged the chokes and broke the ribs loose.

Just some history to show what a lot of these old doubles have been through. I'm sure my family's guns are not unique.

I seldom shoot any of my Damascus, Laminated or Twist barrel guns, but when I do I use my light 7/8 ounce reloads.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2019, 06:05 PM   #12
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

researcher i m like your dad about the shells i shoot most of my guns are damascus orother such steel...my dad had a lefver e grade 10 ga that had damascus barrels he used many boxes of those 4 3/4 dram of powder and 1 5/8 ounce of lead shot in that old ten it brought home a many ova duck or a turkey....my old 8 ga parkers have shot some heavy loads...not telling anybody to use heavy loads but that is what i prefer most of the time....thats a great picture of your dad and grandpa....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 02-17-2019, 09:07 PM   #13
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,605 Times in 2,666 Posts

I’ve used a variety of loads in my 16 ga guns, which range from AHE Damascus, CHE Bernard, and various fluid steel, but prefer Federals and RSTs.

Here are tables showing what Parker recommended , just use the modern smokeless powder equivalent.

Using the recoil formula, which pictured 16 ga load produces less recoil?
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 02-18-2019, 07:46 AM   #14
ED J, MORGAN
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I agree with Bruce.
ED J, MORGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ED J, MORGAN For Your Post:
Unread 02-18-2019, 08:37 AM   #15
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

I don’t see that Bruce made a statement we can agree with or disagree with.

He asks a question and I don’t see enough data to draw any kind of conclusion.

What is the powder charge ot the RST box he pictures?

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 02-18-2019, 09:13 AM   #16
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,190 Posts

Even if the barrels can take the higher pressures (Damascus fluid, twist etc), why are you subjecting a 80 to 120 year old gun to that kind of stress. Wood dries out, gets oil soaked and running high pressure loads though these guns doesn't make sense to me. I prefer to go easy on my guns as I am only the caretaker of them. Others prefer to beat them up, to each their own.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 02-18-2019, 11:23 AM   #17
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,386 Times in 594 Posts

Bruce's question has been asked numerous times on a reloading forum i belong to and the simple answer is Newton's law. The amount of ejecta is the governing factor. Equal and opposite reaction. 1 oz pushed out at 1200 fps will always create the same recoil. But it can have the perception of it changed by the powder used and the charge. Hope this makes sense, when I read it written by some one else it did.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2019, 02:39 PM   #18
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

The "amount of ejecta being the governing factor" I guess we have to assume the powder charges are equal and the 2 1/2" wad/shot cup and the 2 3/4" wad/shotcup are also equal in weight.

Unread 02-18-2019, 05:18 PM   #19
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,605 Times in 2,666 Posts

The significant governing factors for recoil are the weight of the shot and its speed out the barrel. With that in mind , you will see that the Federals produce less recoil than the RSTs . And that there are close shells in Remington. Winchester and other makers. These are modern cartridges available off mail order or in stores.

Equivalent loading exists in 12 and 20 ga. I don’t know about 28 ga only because I have not looked.

A person can always buy RST cartridges, and I do, but it’s not your only choice.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 02-18-2019, 05:27 PM   #20
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanks Bruce for the explanation.

So, even though we have trusted RST Classic Shotshells to provide safe dependable ammo for our 100 year old guns, there are other brands we can feel comfortable in using.