Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Foto Fridays

Notices

Unread 06-11-2018, 10:11 PM   #71
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

Nothing wrong with the strips being machine-milled as long as the machine is set up with the utmost care. But of course a machine can only do what it was designed to do. The complex tapers achieved by experts who actually design the taper and plane the individual strips to perform precisely as designed are certainly a far cry from those "milled" by machine - and, like a Parker, it is always the touch of the artisan which makes all the difference. Nevertheless, a Parker Hawes is leaps above a Montague...

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 06-11-2018, 10:26 PM   #72
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Nevertheless, a Parker Hawes is leaps above a Montague...
.[/QUOTE]

You'll get no argument from me Dean. I have never fished a Parker-Hawes or a Hawes. All I know about them is the couple I have seen on the market and the general opinion of collectors such as myself. In defense of Montague, their "premium" rod the Manitu was a well finished rod. My grandfather's Manitu rod fishes well and I've always liked it. It certainly is not on a par with my Leonards, but it is a decent fishing rod and I like to play with it from time to time on the Housatonic River in Connecticut, my eastern home river.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2018, 01:47 PM   #73
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,603 Times in 984 Posts

Just so there's no confusion . . . H.L. Leonard rods were not hand-planed, the strips were produced with a beveler. A beveler is a little different from a milling machine -- a beveler utilizes two blades cutting with one pass as opposed to a milling machine that has one blade cutting with two or three passes. The old Leonard beveler is now owned and used by former Leonard rod builder Bob Taylor.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 06-12-2018, 02:22 PM   #74
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

Years ago, I bought a blank allegedly made by Bob Taylor. I have no way of actually knowing if he built it. I finished the rod and enjoy it today. It's an 8 foot for 4.
Unread 06-12-2018, 02:42 PM   #75
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Baehman View Post
Just so there's no confusion . . . H.L. Leonard rods were not hand-planed, the strips were produced with a beveller. A beveler is a little different from a milling machine -- a beveller utilizes two blades cutting with one pass as to opposed to a milling machine that has one blade cutting with two or three passes. The old Leonard beveller is now owned and used by former Leonard rod builder Bob Taylor.
he

That's exactly why I call them the Parker of cane rods. There was some non-manual work done on them but they were, like Parker, pretty much a handmade product that was built with great care. I consider the early Payne rods akin to the older London best doubles, all hand work. Parkers are not the equal of a London best double and Leonard is not equivalent to an early Payne or Garrison, but I love them both.

The beveler you mentioned was kept in a locked room at Leonard and few had access to it. Ted Simroe was my favorite builder at Leonard and I like the rods from his period the best. Others might disagree with that but I have a fondness for his actions. My collection of Leonard's are all Simroe rods except for a light salmon rod that I use for Atlantic salmon. I have fished Ted's rods from coast to coast. I no longer fish Oregon since I have added the coastal cutthroat to my quest to catch each sub species of cutthroat trout in their aboriginal drainages. But I will have a couple of Ted's rods with me this September on my quest for West Slope cutthroats and Bonneville cutthroats to complete my cutthroat slam.
Unread 06-12-2018, 03:17 PM   #76
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Just a few more pictures of the Parker of fly rods, Ted Simroe's Leonard's. The first is a 5 wt. 8' rod, the second is a 5 wt 8 1/2 ft rod and the third is a 6 wt 8 1/2 ft rod.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leonard 4.jpg (498.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg leonard 5.jpg (565.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg leonard 6.jpg (528.2 KB, 3 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 06-12-2018, 09:49 PM   #77
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

Bob Taylor still attends the Catskills Rod Makers Gathering - he tells some interesting stories of the operation

and i have watched him demonstrate his wrapping technique - even videoed it once - still cannot figure out how he does it he is so fast
Unread 01-11-2020, 10:21 PM   #78
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,347 Times in 673 Posts

I was just given a Weber MONOGRAM bamboo fly rod, accompanied by an Akron-built Pflueger Medalist 1494 ˝ reel. Its owner (a neighbor) had inherited it, will not fish it and knew that I have connection, however tenuous, with fly-fishing.

I wasn’t going to get into another sphere of collecting vintage stuff (as per my above post on 6-11-18). But the gifted rod and reel were delivered to my door-step the day before yesterday –- left right there on a block of granite -- like an orphan. So, I guess it is my fate to be the person to render the rod fishable again.

The Weber MONOGRAM may not be the “Parker” of vintage bamboo fly rods, but doesn’t it at least qualify as an evocative, albeit "hardware store", side-by-side?
Unread 01-12-2020, 12:26 AM   #79
Victor Wasylyna
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,463 Times in 328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell E. Cleary View Post
I will not fish it
Then feed it to a panda. Fishing rods are for catching fish, not sitting in a closet.

-Victor
Victor Wasylyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2020, 12:39 PM   #80
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,347 Times in 673 Posts

Victor:

You misread my post and thus misquoted me.

It is my neighbor who will not fish it, and who gave it to me because I will fish it.