Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 09-14-2018, 09:25 PM   #21
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

Garry back when I spent all my time chasing quail I heard some talk of grouse hunting in the Tellico region of the Cherokee NF and in Cocke County. I haven't heard of anyone grouse hunting around here in years but I am sure someone probably does. We have some Wilson snipe in our area. I have a daughter in Seattle, I plan to hunt my way west when I retire! That trip may begin in the UP or Minnesota.
Unread 09-14-2018, 09:41 PM   #22
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Bishop View Post
Garry back when I spent all my time chasing quail I heard some talk of grouse hunting in the Tellico region of the Cherokee NF and in Cocke County. I haven't heard of anyone grouse hunting around here in years but I am sure someone probably does. We have some Wilson snipe in our area. I have a daughter in Seattle, I plan to hunt my way west when I retire! That trip may begin in the UP or Minnesota.
Retirement is great, so I hope it happens sooner rather than later for you. If you decide to go to Minnesota on your way west, let me know and I can point you to some good areas. I assume quail are few and far between in Tennessee. We have had fair years the last two, and predictions are for the same for this year. It's sad when one is excited at a prediction of "fair" quail hunting. It still beats work!
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2018, 09:52 PM   #23
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
A good friend of mine hunted grouse in the southern Appalachians around Brevard. One day, and hopefully soon
Mills I have hunted grouse in N. Ga mountains and Est Tennessee. It can be dang tough hunting. Have also hunted them a good bit in Eastern Kentucky. My advice is take a light 20 gauge and enjoy the scenery. Nothing like walking in the woods with a shotgun, which is close second to walking in the woods with a shotgun and getting to shoot at your intended quarry a few times.

Believe it or not I stumbled upon a few grouse in the upper sections of Chatooga river basin years ago but I was not actually hunting for them. Its a long story but they are there and it is some of the meanest country. You gotta have a dang good dog and really study up on your maps.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post:
Unread 09-14-2018, 10:06 PM   #24
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Reggie, see my reply to Mills. Yes I have hunted the with my dad a long time ago in hills of Tn for grouse and it is not for the faint of heart. If you can find some areas that were clear cut 5 to 7 years ago and that are grown back up and you have a good dog you can find a few, maybe.

Tellico area does have them and I have seen them there. Used to be big into white water kayaking steep creeks and we would run Tellico and western NC creeks. Occasionally jumped some grouse but it was in some of the most inhospitable areas you could imagine. Tough country with few and far between birds. As you know worst part of hills of Tennessee are those cliff faces near the tops of those hills. You would be on the side of one of hills in a steep hollar hanging on to a laurel for dear life on one hand gun in the other and have a bird flush at your feet and fly on top of that cliff face. Tn grouse are mean spiteful birds and you gotta really want em.

One hunt in Minn where the land flatter and chances of seeing birds is 10 fold will break way from thinking about chasing them in Tn. Load up the car and go if you can. That is what we did and it was worth it.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2018, 10:48 PM   #25
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
I have yet to go grouse hunting but want to very much, based on the fun you guys have. One day and hopefully soon. I do plan to do some Lowcountry woodcock hunting

Step up and be the high bidder on the Pineridge Grouse Camp three-day hunt in the Silent Auction this year Mills. You will NOT regret it!
Pineridge is THE place to get your feet wet on grouse and woodcock... Dis I say THE place?... hell it is THE BEST place to become fully immersed in grouse and woodcock shooting!

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 09-14-2018, 11:33 PM   #26
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

I'll be starting the season with my grandfather's 20 bore VH because it's traditional for me. Then I'll use a 20 bore PHE and a Holland and Holland 28.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 09-15-2018, 12:30 AM   #27
Twombly setters
Forum Associate

Member Info

We will head to the Michigan grouse woods next week with two Parker 16 gauges, Jenns 16 ga 26" GH Damascus and my 16 ga 28" vh 5lbs 6 0unce and 5 lbs 9 ounce... easy to carry all day with the setters.
legh higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to legh higgins For Your Post:
Unread 09-15-2018, 07:48 AM   #28
James L. Martin
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,566 Times in 379 Posts

Going Grouse hunting next week in upstate NY ,taking a 20ga VH and a 20ga Win.model 21.
The Following User Says Thank You to James L. Martin For Your Post:
Unread 09-15-2018, 08:08 AM   #29
Rick Riddell
Forum Associate

Member Info

You guys hunt with some really nice guns! I got an old war service (RAF) Birmingham Small Arms that is my go to. Last year I hunted a GH exclusively, maybe this year I'll get the Trojan out, just got figure out the full chokes with light loads!
Rick Riddell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Riddell For Your Post:
Unread 09-15-2018, 08:31 AM   #30
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by legh higgins View Post
We will head to the Michigan grouse woods next week with two Parker 16 gauges, Jenns 16 ga 26" GH Damascus and my 16 ga 28" vh 5lbs 6 0unce and 5 lbs 9 ounce... easy to carry all day with the setters.
Legh, those are both really nice guns and are perfect for “pa’tridge an’ ‘cock.”
I hope we can get together in October when you get back to Vermont.

(I might even let you look at my NEW Sterly)

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: