Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Unread 09-05-2018, 09:10 AM   #11
Brian Arthur
PGCA Member

Member Info

That's an interesting approach. Thanks for the insight into alternative methods to achieve the results I am after.
Brian Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2018, 10:23 AM   #12
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

It's a work around that will solve the problem of leakage when you are working the barrels. But long term, I think the rib should be properly relayed. You can PM me if you have any questions as you work the barrels or you can send a message to my email at thomas.j.flanigan@outlook.com
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 09-05-2018, 01:21 PM   #13
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,665 Times in 867 Posts

I hate to say it but you absolutely do not want to now seal the barrels up and then blue, because you have already introduced water to between the ribs. That is why Fox, Ithaca, Savage and others used weep holes. Since you already have leaks you should have blown all of the water out with air and heat them with a heat gun to get the water out.

You should remove the streaked bluing, and immediately start rust bluing and boiling with the leak (top rib) up so the oil that does come out floats up and to the top of the water, thus not down and won't streak. I just set them in the tank on the lugs and do not suspend them. They rust no matter what you do. Either flood the tank to get rid of the oil since it is floating on top, or I have scooped it off. Finish bluing and after neutralizing the acidic bluing in cold water with baking soda, the last step is to put the barrels into water displacing oil. Let them soak, blow out the contaminated oil (which will be milky), and soak again, repeating until milky oil is gone. Then pull them out and let them hang. I had rather have leaky ribs that constantly had oil in them than ones sealed up with water present from the process you already started. Again my 2 cents.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 09-05-2018, 01:30 PM   #14
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I totally agree that all moisture between the barrels must be removed before any more work is done. If you need to go the acraglas method, this still applies.
Unread 09-07-2018, 05:22 PM   #15
Frank Allegra
Forum Associate

Member Info

Reading your post. If you didn't get the barrels to a full boil and hot enough to evaporate the water after you pulled them out, could those be water stains? It seems that oil would stop the blueing and you would see evidence of it in your boiling tank. I'm not an expert but just a guess. Good luck.
Frank Allegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2018, 07:52 PM   #16
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,665 Times in 867 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Allegra View Post
Reading your post. If you didn't get the barrels to a full boil and hot enough to evaporate the water after you pulled them out, could those be water stains? It seems that oil would stop the blueing and you would see evidence of it in your boiling tank. I'm not an expert but just a guess. Good luck.
That's oil. It makes a dark streak that you have to take back out. Usually happens on the last bluing, after spending hours and having them ready but you want to do it one last time. Consider oneself lucky when it happens on the first bluing.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2018, 09:56 AM   #17
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Just a note on leaky Parker ribs......I have refinished a large number of Parker barrels since I started restoring barrels at 16 years old. I have seen relatively few leaky ribs. Maybe I've been lucky, but, in my experience, leaky ribs are generally something that I don't have to deal with, even on the early lifter guns. This is certainly a testament to Parker quality.

Judicious use of a good degreaser and acetone should eliminate any problems on most barrels, regardless of which rusting agent you use. Prep of the barrels is key to eliminating problems.
Unread 09-08-2018, 12:20 PM   #18
Brian Arthur
PGCA Member

Member Info

Update: I soaked the barrels in acetone for 3 days, then degreased them with simple green. After the first round of rusting, then boiling and carding, I'm happy to report that whatever leaking was occurring from the rib is not affecting the finish- whew!

Note that I am adding a 2 hour bake in the oven at 215F after carding to make sure any water under the rib gets dried out before starting the next cycle.

I'll post pictures when I am done, and update my other thread, "Learning on a Parker VH".

Thanks to all for the help and advice!
Brian Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian Arthur For Your Post:
Unread 09-08-2018, 12:30 PM   #19
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Great news Brian.
Unread 09-10-2018, 03:15 PM   #20
Keavin Nelson
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,233 Times in 440 Posts

Alls well perhaps, but the rib is not sound, and likely will fail further with shooting???