Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

What do ya think?
Unread 07-26-2018, 07:58 PM   #1
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

Default What do ya think?

About 30 years ago the now deceased owner of my company found this flintlock pistol in the woods while out hunting. It was found in upstate New York in the Liberty area off Rt.17 Now I know that area was a hotbed of action during the Revolution but who knows. The barrel has since rusted away and there are no markings at all anywhere. I have taken the lock out and this pistol is very much hand made and by Parker standards very crude internally. Even the screws are hand filled. Can any of you black powder guys venture a guess as to country of origin or a possible time frame for this great relic?
Unread 07-26-2018, 08:03 PM   #2
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F1.JPG (72.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg f2.JPG (93.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg f3.JPG (69.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg f4.JPG (69.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg f5.JPG (55.9 KB, 1 views)
Unread 07-26-2018, 08:36 PM   #3
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

That's neat. The barrel rusted away but the wood didn't rot? I would have thought if exposed to the elements for 200+ years the wood would be the first thing to disappear.
Unread 07-26-2018, 09:20 PM   #4
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Pete, The wood around all the furniture is severely shrunk as we see in some very early Parker’s and that doesn’t happen over night
Unread 07-26-2018, 09:48 PM   #5
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

Dave- post it on the American longrifle board and see it anyone recognizes the maker

http://www.americanlongrifles.org/forum/

looks to be the Georgian style to me
Unread 07-26-2018, 10:00 PM   #6
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanks Rick, Is there a time frame for that style? Another tid-bit the main spring in the lock is caked with black powder residue. So it been shot a bunch
Unread 07-26-2018, 10:11 PM   #7
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Georgian as in King George - third quarter of the 18th century

i am no expert, but i have seen a few reproductions and some originals in my reenacting days

i would be hesitant to take it apart- but are the butt cap and side plate silver?? if so- they could very well have hallmarks on the underside that would date it within a few years
Unread 07-27-2018, 06:58 AM   #8
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Yes Rick all the furniture is German silver,
Unread 07-27-2018, 08:07 AM   #9
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

well, unfortunately - "german" silver is not real silver, so no hallmarks

that was a very nice gun in its day - and i would love to know the story about how it got there- Liberty was pretty much wilderness at the time of the revolution, not a lot of action there. and with the condition of the wood i'd have trouble thinking it sat out in the woods exposed to the seasons for 250 years.

i might believe someone took an old gun out, maybe with the increased interest in the period after the bicentennial and lost it then, maybe some kid paying with a relic from dad's collection

too bad youre in Massachusetts this weekend- the gunmakers fair starts today in Kempton PA - i used to go every year, it would be hard to find a bigger gathering of flintlock experts in one place than that
Unread 07-27-2018, 08:32 AM   #10
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

That is extroadinary. Obviously we don't know circumstances of how that pistol was found. Just guessing but gun had to of been in a very dry spot maybe in a cave with low moisture content with gun leaned up and only barrel touching the ground. Even then it is quite surprising to be in as good as shape as it is. No way it was just laying in the woods for any length of time. We will never know true story but its a cool piece. I would have thought black powder on the metal for any length of time more than a dozen years would have corroded it badly though.

Where I grew up there were caves everywhere. A lot of them have been explored with some found but then forgotten. When I was a kid met a few spelunkers that were also amatuer archealogists. Back in the 70's when scouting an old dry wash from a side draw in a small creek valley they came upon a cave entrance that was blocked with debris but could feel cool air coming out. They came back a few weeks later and cleared the debris. Once they cleared debris the entrance was actually larger than they thought and cave system was much bigger than they thought. They noted several slick type boot marks in the very dry soil and knew they were not the first to explore but then about 150 feet in they found a cache of about 10 civil war era muskets, powder, bullets, crates of rotten food. They took pictures and left everything and then they realized the footprints in the dirt they were stepping on was probably from 1860's. I saw the pictures and they never did tell where the cave was or even remotely hinted at it. The guns in picture looked intact but you could tell the wood on guns and crates had been worm eaten. Metal had a light rust in patches.

Never did find out about the cave or hear about it in the press about someone finding the stuff. Maybe they left it as time capsule or came back and quietly got the stuff, who knows. The only reason I mention it is that its possible that your pistol could have been found in a similar circumstance. That is the only way I could think it could survive in the outdoors like that.

Last edited by Todd Poer; 07-27-2018 at 08:43 AM..
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post: