Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

getting ready
Unread 07-10-2018, 03:10 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default getting ready

as always i begin to get the fever yep hunting fever no known cure...to day i started bush hogging my dove field will soon put out some wheat...my grandsonseen several birds on the powerline last week... it is nt but 9 weeks till the big day...always some hard desionns to make like which gun to use..i usally shoot 2 differant guns in the morning and 1 in the evening..i always carry a spare gun in case of a break down one year i carried 2 single barrels both of the gunsquit shooting that day...now thats some luck aint it....well i m going to be like a boy scout be prepared....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 07-10-2018, 04:19 PM   #2
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,307 Times in 4,412 Posts

It will be here before you know it. That is for sure. Lots of negative changes around the field we usually hunt, but hopefully the birds will still come
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2018, 04:25 PM   #3
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

It's great to be prepared Charlie. I'm getting the fever already too but for grouse. I used to brush hog a friends property but it was to clear the way so I could get to my deer stand easier. The tractor was a big old Ford from the 40's that still works well. You don't see many Ford tractors anymore. I love to bounce around on that old Ford. I am big into vintage tractors.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 07-10-2018, 09:34 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

i have a big ford tractor we use to disc the fields with it will pull a 16 foot disc real good..i have a massey 135 i use with 5 foot bushhog it gets the job done but it takes lots of hours setting on it to cut our fields...i got lucky my son bought a 75 horse L S tractor a korean made tractor and a 10 foot bushhog with cab and air....bushhogged in the rain some today...did not even see a rabbit cutting the fields today i usally see a snake or a tarpin but no show today boy how them sweet gum trees can grow cut them down last fall but some had grown back to 8 feet or more but the big hog took care of them..one thing i do not like about tractors with a cab and air you cannot cut the outer row close on account of limbs and such hitting the air unit and the cab will have to use the little massey for that...well me and daisey my working partner gave it up come 6.30 this evening daisey is my granddaughters jack russel it stays with me by day and with her at night..shes put many a squirl up a tree...charlie
Unread 07-12-2018, 08:24 PM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

today i serviced my small ford tractor good thing i did its a 4 wheel drive and the front unit was dry the dipstick would not touch...greased the bucket on it a coupla did not want to grease but i fixed that....had a front tire about ready to blow out so i found another old tire and had it put on...was sure hot i could not stay in the sun aworking long at a time... got some trees down on some of our hunting trails gonna try to move them tommorrow if my grandson can help me...i got the power saw chain sharpened and a jig of gas and oil ready... so if the weather is good that is my plain to move the trees this is one of my main squirl hunting trails....charlie...
Unread 07-12-2018, 08:28 PM   #6
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

What year is your Ford Charlie? You don't see them much anymore.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2018, 01:43 AM   #7
Brett Hoop
PGCA Member

Member Info

Charlie

"Power saw". That's what my grandad always called them, and it has stuck with me also. It must have been late 50s or early 60s before grandpa got one and then it seemed like there was always two or three. However I never recall more than 1 being functional at a time. We had better luck with Ford tractors. There was a 2000 diesel, an 8 N, a 2000 gas, and a 4000 Select O Speed. That 4000 schooled me on Holly carbs!
I still have the 2000 gas, it was new in 67, and came to the farm with a yellow 6' Woods 3 point bush hog. There is little paint left on the brush hog, and the gear box lives on several tubes on grease and some bar oil each year. But it's like the man used to say about a Timex it takes a licking and keeps on ticking.
Brett Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2018, 05:07 PM   #8
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

our first power saw was a sears and roebuck big heavy saw but that thing out cut anything we ever owned in a saw...it had the regular pull cord to crank with or a place to wrap a rope around a pulley and crank it with...my first dealings with a power saw was in the late 50 s my uncle and i bought a mercury 2 man saw and put the motor on a bicyicle...we pushed it more than we rode it the motor was wore out... my tractors that i have been around are a b john deere a 60 jd acoupla super a s a h farmall a 300 farmall...then we bought a new 544 diseal international in 68 i still have it...the tractors i have now is a 8 n ford 1949 model got it broke in half rite now clutch stuck in it from not being used...got a big 9600 ford dual wheel about a 1980 model bout seen better days but we still use it...got a 1921 ford 4x4 a jap made tractor bout the size of a 2000 ford.. got a 135 massey gas burner i use a lot for rough bushhogging... my boy bought a ls korean tractor with a 10 foot woods bushhog....also got a g alis chalmers motor in rear very small tractori bought this thing and a 130 farmall gona fix them up but they just are setting there .....today i got the grandson to help me cut 5 tress that had blown over a roadway by the creek...he had never run a power saw so he learned how today was some really dangerous sawing so i did the dangereous part...noy i can get it bush hogged and get them deer and turkeys comming down that road again....charlie
Unread 07-13-2018, 05:42 PM   #9
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

Charlie - You must have a BIG barn
Unread 07-14-2018, 07:53 PM   #10
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

I've always got 3 or 4 rifles sighted in ready for deer as we usually have some property we do damage control .

Shotguns are as ready as they'll ever be , be it for deer or winged creatures .

I quit bush hogging my trails a couple years ago . I just ride the ATV thru three or four times a couple weeks before archery season .

Both my chain saws are sitting in the garage beside my big tractor in case they're needed . The last two weeks I spent cutting up tree's that fell in my yard when a mini twister (for lack of a better term) came thru . I do however have a rather extra large tree that was up rooted in my front woods close to the drive way and the road that goes by the front of our property . That one will get turned into burnable pieces after the first of the year . Now with that being said I can see a Stihl 391 with a 25" bar finding its way to my house soon as my Stihl 291 is only an 18" bar and that tree is a good 35-38" .

This year I'll do a first for me . I'll leave the country in the middle of Virginia archery and not be back in the country until the Monday before election day . Gonna leave for the PI on October 10th stay on Mindanao until the 28th , then back to Manila on the 28th take a side trip to Corregidor and Clark . Then on to Makati November 2nd and 3rd to attend the pre wedding and wedding of one of my nieces . Fly oughtta Manila early November 5th their time and land in Dullus the afternoon of the 5th our time .
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote