Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 03-05-2016, 06:12 AM   #31
George M. Purtill Member #28
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,291 Times in 861 Posts

I think we all agree that gun laws are inconsistent, mostly useless and maddening. I have a C&R and I am happy when it is useful. When it is not, like buying a Repro, I use my FFL dealer, He doesn't even charge me the $25 he could because I buy other stuff from him. So I bring him the Italian jug wine he likes and he tries to refuse it. Its a silly ritual we go through.
But this fight is not worth it.
I live in the state that invented Sandy Hook.
Every time they want a new gun law in Connecticut, they march out some mothers and elementary school kids and BINGO its a done deal.
We just got another one this week.
George M. Purtill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to George M. Purtill For Your Post:
Unread 03-05-2016, 10:13 AM   #32
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,517 Times in 3,097 Posts

By Themselves, the Federal laws have remained consistent for years. Where the confusion comes in is when states, Like New York, and their "Safe Act" enter into the equation, either contradicting the federal law, or adding language to it to make their own more stringent.
Virginia Law now will not allow an VA FFL dealer ship OUT a gun to a C&R, either within the state or to another state, and regardless of the recipient state's laws. Anything bought in VA must be done through a 4473. If VA ships to NY, you'll still need to fill out the 4473. If I have a VA dealer ship to me in CT, I may be able (Not having done it since the new CT laws, I'm not sure) Purchase it with my C&R, but then still have to fill out the States own bs paperwork.
With the limitation on buying, then reselling placed on the C&R, the record keeping requirements (keeping a 'book', and keeping up to date) and fewer opportunities to benefit from direct shipments, I personally am beginning to wonder if there are any real benefits left for the C&R licensee.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 03-05-2016, 10:46 AM   #33
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,099 Posts

I am assuming we have many here that have C&R FFL's so I will ask , I recently received my C&R license as mentioned earlier but have not received my " Book of Rules , Manual etc.,the question is , will I receive something or is this a purchased item and if so does anyone know where I could order such a Manual ,my Regular FFL says they will be mailing it to me ?
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2016, 12:39 PM   #34
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 988 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Jackson View Post
I am assuming we have many here that have C&R FFL's so I will ask , I recently received my C&R license as mentioned earlier but have not received my " Book of Rules , Manual etc.,the question is , will I receive something or is this a purchased item and if so does anyone know where I could order such a Manual ,my Regular FFL says they will be mailing it to me ?
The ATF simply sent me a paperback book entitled Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide when I first received my C & R License. Other than the cost of the C & R, I didn't have to special order or pay for anything. It's pretty big, 8 1/2" x 11" with 243 pages.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 03-05-2016, 01:02 PM   #35
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,099 Posts

Thank You for the reply Greg , It has been two weeks and I still haven't received my Book ,maybe I will contact them !
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2016, 01:07 PM   #36
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,191 Times in 12,368 Posts

I got my C&R about ten years ago. I never used it because I didn't want the responsibility of keeping a "book" and having to surrender it for inspection at their convenience. So I simply let my C&R license lapse.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2016, 03:28 PM   #37
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,680 Times in 1,644 Posts

I was not aware that Virginia laws had changed, Edgar are you saying that I cannot ship a 1898 or older Parker out of state to a C&R or vise versa? I was not aware of the change if it is the case, Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2016, 03:58 PM   #38
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,517 Times in 3,097 Posts

Pre 1898 is considered by BATFE to be an antique. I Don't know how VA handles antiques in their new legislation, but the guy at the Cabelas told me "If it can shoot readily available ammunition..................." UPS Doesn't seem to have any issue shipping your guns to me and back, because I always put "...antique..."

Prior to that recent experience, I would have said the premise that pre 1898 being and antique was universally accepted. I'm pretty sure it still is in Calif.

The NEW YORK "SAFE ACT" is being challenged in court, and everyone I've talked to seem to think there is a good chance it will be overturned.

It shouldn't come as a shock to know that there are a majority of State legislators that will draft, vote on and approve laws which are contrary to the US Constitution. The problem is there are too many who just assume they can do this, and efforts to fight for repeal are often poorly orchestrated, and underfunded. I think GOA may be one of the more effective 'good guys'.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote