Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Parker Reproduction as Curio or Relic
Unread 02-25-2016, 03:09 PM   #1
Victor Wasylyna
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,463 Times in 328 Posts

Default Parker Reproduction as Curio or Relic

Has anyone ever sought from the ATF an official determination that a Parker Reproduction should be classified as a “curio or relic” firearm? Such a classification would certainly make it easier to collect Parker Reproductions. While Parker Reproductions are not yet fifty years old, do they “derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event”? I say yes. What say you?

-Victor
Victor Wasylyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2016, 03:44 PM   #2
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Under ATF guidelines they would not be considered a curio or a relic. Just because a gun in 50 years old doesn't automatically qualify it for a C&R license. Many pre64 Winchester M70's don't legally qualify as a C&R. If I remember correctly it has to be pre 1898 to qualify.
Unread 02-25-2016, 03:53 PM   #3
Victor Wasylyna
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Let me clarify. Firearms are entitled to C&R status if:

1. They were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas of such firearms; OR

2. They are certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; OR

3. They derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.

I agree that Parker Reproductions do not qualify under Category 1. But there are two other categories. I am proposing that Parker Reproductions should quality under Category 3. They derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact they are rare.

-Victor
Unread 02-25-2016, 04:09 PM   #4
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

I wouldn't want to fight the ATF by trying to use clause #3. I don't know of any dealer that will ship a Parker reproduction under a C&R license. I don't consider them rare but that's just my opinion.
Unread 02-25-2016, 04:16 PM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Wasylyna View Post

I agree that Parker Reproductions do not qualify under Category 1. But there are two other categories. I am proposing that Parker Reproductions should quality under Category 3. They derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact they are rare.

-Victor

But they do not. An original Parker DHE 20 gauge in the condition we see most well treated Repros would be valued at easily 4 times the value of a Repro. Parker Reproductions derive most of their value because they are one of the best made replicas on the market. They are not rare. On any given day you can probably find at least sixty Repros for sale on the Internet.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Rich - 1898 is the date prior to which a gun is considered to be an "antique". It has nothing to do specifically with qualifying for the C&R List.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 02-25-2016, 09:12 PM   #7
Victor Wasylyna
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Based on the limited production numbers posted on the PGCA website, and the fact that Repros were only produced for five years (1984 to 1989), I think it is reasonable to call Repros rare. Of 23,505 shotguns for sale today on GunBroker, 15 are Repros (about 200 are original Parkers). I am not trying to compare Repros to original Parkers (certainly not on a value or collectible basis), I am just tying to establish that Repros are curios.

-Victor
Unread 02-25-2016, 09:53 PM   #8
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Good luck with the ATF on that one.
Unread 02-25-2016, 09:56 PM   #9
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

It won't happen. ATF makes the rules, not us. Repros' are not 'curios' nor are they 'relics'. They are merely 'reproductions' and are not rare.

Incidentally, gunbroker is only one of many dozens of sources of guns for sale or auction on the Internet.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 02-25-2016, 10:40 PM   #10
George M. Purtill Member #28
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,291 Times in 861 Posts

It is silly that replicas specifically do not qualify but silly people make these regulations based on silly perceptions.
I myself would rather take on the Feds with their ridiculous and arbitrary exclusion of 8 gauge shotguns from water fowling.
I can win that one.
George M. Purtill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to George M. Purtill For Your Post: