Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

FOREND POPS LOOSE - why?
Unread 09-04-2016, 06:38 PM   #1
crs
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default FOREND POPS LOOSE - why?

Last week before dove season opened, I shot some clays with a friend.
After 10 rounds through my Parker Repro 12ga, DT, the splinter fore end became loose. I pushed it back on and continued shooting and this repeated every 5 to 10 rounds.
Back at home , I went over the gun in detail and cleaned and oiled it. Took it hunting and the same thing happened several times while shooting a box of shells.

This has never happened before in many years of shooting this gun. I compared the 12 gun with my Parker repro 20 ga dt (they look alike) and the only difference I can find is that when assembling the gun and installing the fore end, the 20 snaps on easily and the 12 requires some effort.

I hope there is a simple explanation and simple corrective action; does anyone know what those are?
Unread 09-04-2016, 08:14 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,175 Times in 12,362 Posts

I had a similar problem and ended up having metal welded to the forward "catch tip" of the forend lug and filing it to a better fit.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2016, 08:24 PM   #3
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,150 Times in 3,258 Posts

same here - not on a Parker - but same fix
Unread 09-04-2016, 09:45 PM   #4
crs
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks gents.
Your solutions sound better than duct tape!
If I do not locate a qualified Parker gunsmith in the Dallas area, I do know a maker of double rifles that might fix this for me.
Unread 09-05-2016, 10:58 AM   #5
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

Dean - was your gun overzealously fitted initially or was it simply the lugs leading edge having been rounded off through use?

I know the fore can be "snapped" into place but I have gotten into the habit of lifting the lever, compressing the fore to the barrel & then seating the lever which would substantially avoid metal to metal wear of that leading edge.

(I do not hold the top lever w/my thumb as many do when closing the gun, one caveat..I do if I'm looking at somebody else's gun in a non shooting environment).
Scot Cardillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2016, 12:15 PM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,175 Times in 12,362 Posts

Actually two of my guns had that problem. One was a set of 16 gauge Galazan's barrels I fitted to one of my Repros and another was a 16 gauge GH that I fitted another set of barrels to. My brother-in-law is an aircraft welder and he ran a very small bead of metal to the front edge and I filed and fitted the lug.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2016, 12:29 PM   #7
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,200 Times in 2,409 Posts

Keep in mind that you should apply a dab of grease to that lug to prevent wear.
Unread 09-05-2016, 01:01 PM   #8
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

10-4 Dean

Agreed DL

--

For new owners sake, considering the fortune of having a good many PR's in virtually new condition floating around...keep in mind..there are not anymore of these so basic care & proper break in is warranted for the long haul.

I know opinions vary but in my view, these are heirloom quality guns meant to be used.

When breaking in a new PR..spend some time judiciously applying grease to the areas of interaction between parts & frequently clean/re-grease these areas w/out over applying so as to avoid attracting dirt or other abrasives unnecessarily.

I have found that Shimano fishing reel grease is very very good for guns as it's very tacky, spreads to virtually nothing visible, & stays clean..I'm also known to sprinkle a little graphite into to it during this break in period as well.

DO snap the fore in place for awhile at first..DO close the gun w/out easing the top lever w/your thumb (if you're generally the type to hold the lever) and DO work the ejectors only with caps or shells..basically, work everything as intended for a bit to get all of the sharp edges at interaction points meshed together while using grease so that all parts become meshed proper & do not gall.

The act of meshing parts burnishes the edges of everything and smooths everything out assuring proper functionality.

Following this regimen, keep it all clean & greased/oiled up & THEN develop habits such as lifting levers/compressing fore to barrel et al if it helps you sleep at night.

One of the big areas that seems to be neglected is the interaction between the ejectors & the standing breech..I like to use just a little bit of grease applied to the rounded edges of the ejector rods & the breech face..seems to keep everything smooth and also tends to minimize wear on the breech face.

Anyhow..sorry if this is redundant or if this is common sense to many here..when dealing with younger guys I have to say..it seems as though common sense just aint' so common sometimes so I thought these tips might be helpful to new owners.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Scot Cardillo For Your Post:
Unread 09-07-2016, 12:00 PM   #9
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

Good stuff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8464.jpg (103.3 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8467.jpg (94.1 KB, 183 views)
Unread 09-11-2016, 06:32 PM   #10
crs
PGCA Member

Member Info

MD GSP - I am an old owner, but not above listening to good advice; thanks.
I just finished cleaning and lubing (Slip 2000 Gun Lube) all three of my Parkers - one 20 ga VH on a 28 ga frame, a 20 and a 12 Repro. On both 20s, the fore ends snug up easily, but the 12 still takes some effort (not a good sign).
All three will accompany me on a dove hunt on a ranch just south of Hondo, Texas next weekend and I will see how the 12 holds up.

BTW, handling the circa 1900 VH with Damascus barrels and the 28 ga frame is like a magic wand! Brings back lots of teen age hunting memories and it locks up tight as a drum. I will definitely shoot it some next weekend if the white wings are flying low.
Visit Charles Shelton's homepage!