Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

28 Gauge Repro
Unread 07-04-2015, 04:44 PM   #1
Rudolf Blumentritt
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default 28 Gauge Repro

I really want a 28 gauge repro. My only hesitation is I am not really sure how practical it is. I have never owned or shot a 28 gauge. I would like to hear about real world use of the 28. Why game do you use it on. What loads. What fixed chokes work best. What is the practical range. How does it compare to a 20 gauge? I don't see much 28 ammo on the shelf and I know it's expensive. Not as much worried about cost as about availability. Thanks!
Rudolf Blumentritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2015, 05:35 PM   #2
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,619 Times in 1,024 Posts

The problem I found with the Repro 28s were 1) almost everyone I saw was a 26" gun with pistol grip and single trigger, and 2) they were invariably stocked WAY too high for me. Like most people after a Repro 28, I wanted a straight grip, double triggers, with 28" barrels NOT bored MOD and FULL, with approximate stock dimensions of 1 1/2" DAC, 2 1/4-1/2" DAH, around 14 1/2 LOP.

When a very nice Repro 28 came up with the usual combinations (single trigger, 26" barrel, 14 5/8 LOP, and Q1 & Q2 chokes (Q=quail), I jumped on it, figuring it would be my 'starter' Repro 28. I shoot a lot and especially a lot of 28 ga. for both clays and hunting (I had 2 other 28s when I bought the Repro.

My experiences with the gun were very enlightening. If I had to make a list of unpleasant surprises, they would be as follows: First and foremost, the gun in that configuration is WAY too light! It was nice to carry in the woods, but on clays and a few times on fast-flushing woodcock, it nearly flew out of my hands; Secondly, the very high (for me) stock dimensions had me shooting over nearly everything I shot at, much to my disgust. Lastly, the picturesque and dainty skeleton buttplate beat the living hell out of my shoulder during a round of 50 clays - its too narrow and not deep enough from toe to heel to distribute the recoil evenly across the pocket of muscle your shoulder makes when you mount the gun. And of course if you put a slip-on Galco-type pad to ease the pain, you increase the LOP and by definition the DAH, which plays hob with your shooting.

As the saying goes, "Reality Bites" - after trying to fit myself to the gun, I came to my senses and traded it away for a really nice CE Fox 12 ga. which fits me like a glove. If I ever do it again, I'm going to find a straight grip, DT, 28" bbl. Repro that has the weight and feel of their 20 ga. in that configuration with IC and MOD chokes. I've shot a few of those and the heavier ones have just about ideal handling qualities, especially for dove, pigeon, and longer shots at wild quail.

Ammo selection for the 28 is pretty much confined to 7 1/2, 8s, and 9s so far as practicality goes. For sporting clays I always shoot 7 1/2s and 8s which suit me fine. For railbird and woodcock, I go to RST's #10 spreader loads and wide open chokes, which is about like shooting sugar. At anything over 35 yards, the little guns like more choke than usual and will really surprise you in the performance category with good quality ammo.

I hope this helps - good luck and I hope you get a nice 28 Repro, but by all means if at all possible SHOOT ONE FIRST! They are out there!
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 07-04-2015, 06:18 PM   #3
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,854 Times in 4,747 Posts

I could use my 28 Repro for anything I cared to shoot. I wouldn't opt for the Q-1 Q-2 chokes or the modified and full for most game, but the improved cylinder and modified should be a good compromise for all purpose use. Normally, this combination is only available in 26". We don't normally look for ammo "on the shelf", but prepare for the future with a stash. Most of us who use the 28 on a regular basis load our own. 28s are ten bucks a box and more and a reloaded box of 28s usually sets us back about three dollars or a bit more.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2015, 06:21 PM   #4
Joe Bernfeld
Forum Associate

Member Info

I love 28 ga. guns! I have 4: a Beretta 687 EELL, a Garbi 101 with 2 sets of barrels, an Ithaca Classic Double, and of course a Parker Reproduction. Technically the Parker Repro. is no longer mine since my wife loved it so much, she appropriated it for herself.

28 ga guns work best at closer ranges (30-35 yards or less) and for smaller birds (quail, doves, Ruffed Grouse). For those reasons they don't need tight chokes. Mine range from Cyl/IC, to Mod/IM on the 30" Garbi barrels (great for longer shots at doves). The Parker Repro. my wife uses is Q1/Q2, which is a fine combination. They pattern great with 3/4 oz. of shot. If you want to use more shot, the proper gauge would be a 20.

28 ga ammo is not that hard to find, and you can order it by the case so you don't have to worry about not finding it. I use only # 7 1/2 or 8 shot. I prefer to reload since I can make high quality, low recoil loads that pattern very well, and save some money to boot. Also I always know I will have ammo available. My wife and I often shoot doves with 5/8 oz. reloads that have very little recoil and work fine if you don't try excessively long shots.

Depending on your size, the Parker Repro. might fit quite well. I find the comb to be the perfect height, but most of them were made with 14 1/4"-14 3/8" LOP; quite short by today's standards. There are Repros. out there with 14 3/4" LOP (I have a 12 ga. with that length). In fact I've seen more than 1 28 ga. with 14 3/4" LOP on Guns International. As for the weight, mine has a pistol grip and beavertail, which makes it weigh around 5 3/4 lbs. They are too light to comfortably shoot lots of clay pigeons with, but that's not why I shoot 28 ga. guns !
Joe Bernfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2015, 11:48 PM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,191 Times in 12,368 Posts

I love both of my 28 gauge Repros and haven't experienced any of the problems the other gents have defined. I'm 210 lbs., 5' 10" and I personally don't consider them too light or whippy. The straight grip with double triggers is my favorite but is stocked quite high. A slip-on Galco pad lengthens the LOP and increases the DAH just about enough to satisfy me. These Repros on 28 gauge are awesome little guns and might take some getting used to for some guys but me and mine have crushed a lot of clays and killed a lot of grouse and woodcock right from the start.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
28 gauge guns
Unread 07-05-2015, 12:33 PM   #6
Andy Humphriss
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default 28 gauge guns

I have 6 28 gauge guns 1) browning lighting citori, 2) beretta 686' 3) browning bps 4) BSA classic s x s , 5) kreighoff k-20 and my latest Parker repro 2 barrel set 26" q1 and q2 28" ic and mod straight grip 2 triggers splinter forfend. The 28 just seams to perform above her head. I have shot chucker, ( wild ) pheasants ,quail and many clays I found it took a little time to get used to my little Parker at 5 lbs 8 oz but after a couple hundred targets it's fast becoming one of my favorites. I reload most all of my 28 gauge ammo and have found 13 gr of international with aa hs wads and aa hulls 71/2 or 8 shot will handle just about all my feather or clay targets out to about 40 yards provided I use quality high antimony shot. IMHO 28 gauge guns are sweet, sexy and easy to shoot.
Andy Humphriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2015, 01:40 PM   #7
Mike Murphy
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have several 28ga. shotguns. I've used them on Quail, Woodcock, Dove, Ruffed Grouse and pointed Pheasant. As mentioned above, 30-35 yards is the best effective range for that gauge. However, Dove and Grouse have been taken at longer ranges and it generally doesn't take many pellets to bring them down. For Pheasants, I use #6 shot and modified and improved modified chokes. My Repro's have somehow all fit me well, but then again I shot Skeet for years with a Monte Carlo stock so maybe I'm just used to the higher stock dimensions mentioned above.
Michael Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2015, 08:40 AM   #8
esetter - Gerry Addison
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,067 Times in 280 Posts

I have all gauges of the Repros and the 28 is far and away my favorite for upland birds (Grouse& Woodcock for me). They are not skeet guns but I have shot a few rounds with mine. The Q1 & Q 2 chokes are my favorites. Use it for what it was intended and you will be happy
Gerry Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2015, 10:29 AM   #9
Sam Ogle
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have a 28 Ga. Parker repro: They are an amazing little thing. For some reason, 28 gauge guns just shoot better than they should. It would be nice if you could find a 28 inch barrel gun, but if you do, it will be choked too tight (mine was 40 thousandths in the left barrel, which IMO is "silly tight.")
Yes, to some guys they are too light and "whippy," but that's the idea of a 28. If I want an almost 8 pound target gun, then I'd get a 12 Ga. Almost all the responders said they reload. That is the way to go, unless you have funds to burn. Owning a Parker in a 28 Gauge will almost assure that you will buy a Repro, as the originals are too dang expensive.
Go ahead and buy one, and be prepared for those "Well, I'll be damned" moments when the little gun does stuff you didn't think it could do.
Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE
Sam Ogle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam Ogle For Your Post:
Unread 07-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #10
Jeff O'Neill
Forum Associate

Member Info

I was fortunate to acquire a 28 bare two barrel set through Jack and Tom Skeuse several years ago. The 26" barrels are choked IC/M, and the 28" are M/F. My primary use is quail. I've found that the longer barrels balance and swing much better for me, so I use PolyWad spreader shells when hunting and am very pleased with the results.

As mentioned above, I also use a strap-on leather pad to get the LOP out to my need, with two layers of carpet backing added inside the pad. Works very well. The weight and length added by the pad may be why the long barrels feel so much better to me.
Jeff O'Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff O'Neill For Your Post: