Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 02-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #11
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

nice country looks to have been some fine duck hunting there.... nice piggy too what did he shoot him with...arkansaw has some beautiful country to hunt in part of it reminds me of bottom land i use to hunt at home here in mississippi....weve got hogs here were i live in places but ive never incountered them but have frinds that reguarly hunt and live trap them piggies....thanks for the photos..... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #12
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,572 Times in 3,414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
nice country looks to have been some fine duck hunting there.... nice piggy too what did he shoot him with...arkansaw has some beautiful country to hunt in part of it reminds me of bottom land i use to hunt at home here in mississippi....weve got hogs here were i live in places but ive never incountered them but have frinds that reguarly hunt and live trap them piggies....thanks for the photos..... charlie
He shot that pig with a Remington Model 7 Stainless Synthetic in 300 Remington Short Action Ultra Mag ! With a 168 grain Barnes TSXT bullet I handloaded for him . Shot the pig at all of 9 yards !

The owner and his budds wacked the heck outta the ducks the last 3 days of the season !
Unread 02-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #13
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

mighty long shot 9 yards....those pigs are tough they say....thanks charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #14
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Charlie one of the highlights of the trip was dinner friday night in Greenville Mississippi at a resteraunt called "Doe's Eating Place" .

I had part of one of the best Porterhouse steacks I've ever eaten in my life !

We ordered two 2 pound steacks for 4 of us and our friends wife had shrimp !

Enchilada's follwed by salad and fried shrimp . And then the main course of Porterhouse medium rare with fries and a Cabernet Sauvignon . And after while we were talking I popped the cork on a bottle of "Six Grapes" Port !

All we needed were some cigars but then I don't smoke LOL's !
Unread 02-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #15
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,263 Times in 12,387 Posts

Lookas like a fella could get his feet wet there if he isn't real careful.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #16
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Lookas like a fella could get his feet wet there if he isn't real careful.
I had knee boots and rode that ATV everywhere !

The older gents that were there strictly for ducks wore chest waders all the time !

Next year I'll take some chest waders and Nice shot loaded 10 gauge shells for the two short 10's and my 16 GH and perhaps I can go shoot Daffy Duck !

To be honest I've never fired a shot at a duck or goose . But I suspect if I can hit quail and grouse a duck shouldn't be to damn difficult .
Unread 02-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #17
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,172 Posts

I love to take quail and grouse hunters out for ducks, it's usually quite a show. But then again, I'm sure quail and grouse hunters love taking me out for revenge. *evil laugh*

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #18
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destry L. Hoffard View Post
I love to take quail and grouse hunters out for ducks, it's usually quite a show. But then again, I'm sure quail and grouse hunters love taking me out for revenge. *evil laugh*

Destry
Hmmmm that kinda sounds like a challenge

After watching the way the ducks came in to those fellows , all they were doing was shooting hovering birds as big as pie plates . I'd be willing to accept a challenge shooting at them that way . Lord knows I've decoyed in enough dove over the years and shot them hoverring the same way .

Your statement sounds vaugely similar to what the trap and skeet shooters used to throw back and forth at each other at my club !

Funny thing was I shot both and was equally good (or bad however you wanna look at it ) at both games !
So I tend to see quail/grouse vs ducks/geese about the same . My thoughts have always been if it's in the air , in range and I can see it then I oughtta be able to hit it fairly regularly .
Unread 02-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #19
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,172 Posts

A lot of quail and grouse shooting is quick snap shooting at close range. There's some of that in waterfowling when you shoot them feet down over the decoys. But on the days when they aren't doing that it gets a lot different. That's when the quail and grouse hunters have a tougher time. If you're a dove hunter then you'd probably be fine on ducks, the shooting is similar a lot of the time.

Both types of shooting take skill, neither is easy, and all have their charms. I probably couldn't hit a grouse flushing in heavy cover to save my life. But I can hit a goose swinging over at 40 yards in a high wind.

There's a great MacQuarrie story about the confident duck hunter going prairie chicken shooting and the tough time he has. If you look at it from the other way, it's the same kinda deal.

Bundle a grouse hunter up in a heavy coat and gloves, park him in a metal boat in the cold blowing wind to stiffen up a bit. Then hand him a long heavy gun that handles like a railroad iron to shoot, and tell him to kill a redhead ripping by about 60 miles an hour out at 40 yards on the edge of the decoys while the boat rocks back and forth.

Take a chubby cigar smoking duck hunter, walk him up and down the hills half the day. Give him some little toy size shotgun to shoot that feels like he's throwing around a broom handle. About the time he's panting and out of breath, the sweat starts rolling into his eyes, and he's got a saw briar stuck to the crotch of his pants, let a grouse get up from a thicket and give him a split second to shoot at it before it flys behind a tree.

I think you can read both sides of this coin.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 02-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #20
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,263 Times in 12,387 Posts

All very well and fairly said Destry.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote