Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Unread 04-10-2020, 03:03 PM   #21
RickR
Forum Associate

Member Info

That was an especially nice compliment. Thanks Todd. I have begun to checker that Davis gun to camo the glass buildups, and waiting for that stimulus $$. Rather than waste the windfall paying bills or some such, I may invest it in a better gun.

Were I to take you up on joining the Parker association, would I get drummed out by admitting it's my Fox guns I miss the most and like them better than a #2 frame Parker?

Mea Maxima Culpa (thought I'd throw in some uppity-culture phrase)

Rick
Rick Rappe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick Rappe For Your Post:
Unread 04-10-2020, 07:39 PM   #22
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,125 Posts

We've got some Fox guys here. LC Smith and Lefever owners too. We are a big tent.
Of course the gloves come off in the Parker vs Fox, or LC guys shoot. (so I've heard)
; - )
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 04-14-2020, 05:04 PM   #23
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,422 Times in 4,595 Posts

Take this piece of advice as purely constructive when I beg of you to please study up on Parker checkering patterns before you decide to checker another Parker.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 04-14-2020, 05:58 PM   #24
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,405 Times in 3,075 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rappe View Post

Were I to take you up on joining the Parker association,
Really? For the cost of three boxes of RST Lights, you're sitting on a fence post? And, here I thought I was tight.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2020, 07:52 PM   #25
RickR
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hi edgar. There is a difference between being tight and being broke. And this AM odds were high I'd never return to this site again. The specifics of my circumstance are private and cannot end, so that means that much of my desire to return to the shotgun sports is wishful thinking including comments about searching for a better gun...but one is ever hopeful. So I made some comments on other threads to divert me from my reality a little by giving me a reason to log on. (BTW you never did answer my PM about your Colt bow)

Mr. Dudley, I understand your underlying point and agree generally, but circumstance and the specifics of this gun forced my alteration. (Hiding broken stock repairs and a forend gouge underneath the pattern)

Yes, big difference between the originality concern of the collector and someone buying a Parker to shoot simply because they are good guns.

But understanding when and to whom originality is paramount can also lead to excess. Once upon a long time ago I "restored" bamboo fly rods as a hobby business. I was taken to task by the guy who "wrote the book" on bamboo rod collecting because I had completed a rod using a different brand (but identical style tip guide) as the rod originally used since the company making those tip guides went out of business 100 years ago.

"Unless the rod is ALL original down to the brand of silk used to re-wrap the guides it isn't original at all" was his mantra. We argued that keeping to that degree of original was impossible and illogical, but we never did agree. Even so, if you read anything I've ever written or speak to someone who's rod, bow or gun I worked on, you'll pick up on that I say "rehabilitate" rather than restore and/or "as originalish as practical".

Hope you agree the bamboo guru was overly "anal" as by that standard, replace one screw, even internally on an otherwise minty Parker and it is no longer an original gun with no more value than a refinished specimen.
Unread 04-14-2020, 08:00 PM   #26
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,422 Times in 4,595 Posts

I do not agree.
It is not about being “original” because they are only original once. And not many truly are completely original.
It is about doing the job right and correct to original standards as best as possible.
There are far too many Parkers, and other guns out there that have been “rehabilitated and repaired beyond repair”. It is best to not create more of them.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 04-14-2020, 08:22 PM   #27
RickR
Forum Associate

Member Info

I'm going to let this go since my take is we are in agreement and are differing mostly over semantics. You wrote it yourself. Finding any specimen with no alteration of ANYTHING is difficult, ergo few untouched and so honestly original guns still exist. But that whenever possible we ought to try really hard to get to my "as originalish as possible".look when we can. I believe in this one instance my knowingly doing it as I did was necessary. While agreeing I failed to meet your point since I could have made the re-do closer to the original pattern and still cover the repairs, it still wouldn't have looked identical to the standard pattern. Yah, I'll do better next time. Rick
Unread 04-14-2020, 08:22 PM   #28
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,405 Times in 3,075 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rappe View Post
(BTW you never did answer my PM about your Colt bow)
Rick, I am pretty forgetful, so I went back and re-read your PM re: repairing a Colt bow, however, there was no question. What am I missing? I did visit the website, but haven't been up to the attic to find the bow as yet. I will, and when I do, you'll be the first to know.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2020, 10:56 PM   #29
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,773 Times in 2,006 Posts

My wife's first husband died of cancer in his early 40's He was quite the traditional archer. I have several of his Black widow bows , that I am told are quite collectable. He also made the custom cedar shafts that were in all there advertisements back in the 1980's.
Unread 04-15-2020, 02:16 PM   #30
RickR
Forum Associate

Member Info

No biggie Edgar, what typically happens when I get an inquiry "I have this old bow..." leads to details on the specific bow, like value and the cost of "rehabilitation". On average maybe 1 in 5 contacts leads to a transaction tho. Colt branded recurve bows are just fine as shooters. Any premium collectible specimen carries the same originality factor as we just touched on re. shotguns. But my sense is among bow collectors "Colt's Manufacturing Company" labeling alone adds no value up-tick. That said, Colt memorabilia collectors do tend to snatch them up. No, Colt didn't build them. Ben Pearson, Bob Lee at Wing, and maybe Ernie Root who built the Shakespeare brand were the actual makers. No records exist on details. In fact it is rumored that production details among the companies building them were often kept secret under the premise that how many and at what price was none of Uncle Sam's business.

Harold, yes the Black Widow bows are highly thought of. I could make a case they are the Parkers of classic archery gear.

BTW, when teaching how to shoot a stick bow well, I use the similarities between a bow and shotgun in how the focus is on the target and not the sights a rifleman does.

Rick
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Rappe For Your Post: