Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

PARKER CHECKERING & FRONT SIGHTS
Unread 11-12-2010, 11:27 PM   #1
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,679 Times in 870 Posts

Default PARKER CHECKERING & FRONT SIGHTS

Most examples of the unrestored lower grade guns (Trojan, V, 1 & 2) appear to have flat top checkering, and it appears to be too uniformly flat on top to have worn that evenly.

Most of the restorations I see have sharp, pointed diamonds cut, as some checkering websites also show the work to be done that way.

I would be grateful for an answer as to which is the way these lower grade guns came from the factory as new as I thought I remembered the Parker two volume book indicating they were sharp and pointed diamonds.

Also, what is the thread size of the front sight on these guns and is anyone making replacements for them? I guess if not the next option would be an ivory/imitation ivory bead. A source on these?

Many thanks for your time and knowledge.
Jerry Harlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2010, 07:38 AM   #2
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Jerry, The lower grade guns did indeed have "flat topped" checkering. As the grade of gun rose IE: G,D,C etc. the checkering became finer(more LPI) and more pointed up.
Unread 11-13-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
Parker Bachelder (Brad's Profile)
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,925 Times in 202 Posts

Jerry, The flat topping that you refer to is an indication of less time spent on the pattern. After the initial master lines are cut, each line needs to be deepened or pointed up. To finish full cuts, each diamond needs to be cut on all four sides. Cutting on two sides only often results in a flat top appearance.
Intentional flat checkering , as with some english, is done with entirely different tools, spacing and angle of the cutter. What you are seeing is hastly done work.
As for beads, many are simply press fit. When they are threaded they are usually 3x56 or 4x40. We have seen altered threads to anything imaginable.

Brad
Brad Bachelder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brad Bachelder For Your Post:
Visit Brad Bachelder's homepage!
Unread 11-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Trojan and Vulcan grade guns with "Pointed up" checkering is not factory correct. Wouldn't you agree Brad?
Unread 11-14-2010, 09:53 PM   #5
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,679 Times in 870 Posts

Thumbs up

Dave and Brad,

Thanks for the quick response. I'm finishing up the final coats of oil on a V stock and forend. I'll make sure the checkerer (who does beautiful work) does not point these up but keeps the original "flat top" diamonds to have the correct factory appearance.

Since there appear to be several different thread sizes on the front sights, I'll try to determine what it is I have and locate a replacement. I like the ivory/imitation ivory beads for wing shooting.
Jerry Harlow is online now   Reply With Quote