Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

When the Case Colours Go - Is it Possible to have them Replaced with Rust Blue?
Unread 03-12-2011, 06:01 AM   #1
Tony Guccioni
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default When the Case Colours Go - Is it Possible to have them Replaced with Rust Blue?

Good Day everyone, My name is Tony and I've just discovered a new addiction.
I've been collecting Winchester model 23's for a while and was progressing towards Classic Doubles branded guns until a friend commented that they look like Parker Repros. I said Parker WHAT!

There is so much to love about these beautiful guns.... except the (assumed) ease of wear of the case colours. I'm looking for a 12 Ga. for Sporting Clays and expect to fire up to 1000 shots with it per year.
With average handling by the average Joe (me) how long till Case Colour wear becomes apparent?
And when wear does become too much to bear would it be possible to replace all of case colouring with rust blue. I suppose all of the metal work will need doing for the sake of uniformity.
Thanks in advance.
Tony Guccioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 06:23 AM   #2
Dave Miles
Forum Associate

Member Info

I think case colors wear at varying rates, so it would be hard to guess at how long it would take to wear them off.
If you were to rust blue the receiver it would then look like a Win. model 23.
Not a good idea.
Dave Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 06:59 AM   #3
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,605 Times in 2,666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Guccioni View Post
....And when wear does become too much to bear would it be possible to replace all of case colouring with rust blue....

It certainly would be possible. But why not just get some pink or purple spray paint from the hardware store and paint it with that? All would be equally inappropriate on a Parker.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 07:25 AM   #4
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Bruce are you saying I shouldn't off spray painted mine. Well fiddle! and I got such a nice cammo pattern.
calvin humburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 08:08 AM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

Tony, there's nothing wrong with an honestly used Parker to have no case color remaining. A Parker Repro that has been used a lot will be about entirely silver and that's OK because it is a "shooter" and not a "safe queen".
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
Tony Guccioni
Forum Associate

Member Info

Talking

I'm so careful in the handling of my guns that if I collect a mark/blemish that cannot be TOTALLY rectified I'll get rid of it.
I find that perhaps the most satisfying aspect of shooting is the pride in ownership of quality guns in pristine condition.
An exciting option when considering my first Parker is the availability of unfired /new condition guns.
However, the idea of buying a (not inexpensive) gun only to wait for it's appearance to deteriorate with relatively moderate (?) use is taking some getting use to!
This is the very reason that I've avoided case coloured guns in the past. But, I want to spread my wings and make an exception for a Parker Reproduction.
A lot of the guns I've found photos for, on the net, look untidy at best with half worn case colours.
Fullcoverage or nothing at all seems best to me.
That's why I initially spoke of removing all worn colours once wear became apparent.
I suppose if I'm willing to take the plunge on these beauties then I should consider getting with "the look" and settling for that all over silver gleam.
I apologize to those who considered my mention of rust blueing as Blasphemous. ( I"ll Keep that one to myself in future )

Last edited by Tony Guccioni; 03-12-2011 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: Re-structure
Tony Guccioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 09:43 AM   #7
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

Tony, While guns with 100% case colors are beautiful to look at and in the collectors world are very sought after I think guns with worn colors or no colors are a sign of use,enjoyment and most of all memories.....

I regularly shoot a Parker Repro 28 gauge gun and I can't wait for the colors to fade.....

Remember a gun with fading colors is not a sign of misuse.
Unread 03-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

folks like Doug Turnbull can redo the case color once its worn to the point it bothers you- certainly more appropriate than bluing if you care about how it looks

you can also help preserve the color with lacquer so that it does not wear as quickly

-http://www.csmcspecials.com/Case_Color_Lacquer_p/f0050.htm
Unread 03-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #9
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,718 Posts

I think it was Oscar Gaddy who recommended a Behrens spray lacquer to protect case colors. I don't know the name of the particular product. To answer Tony's question, those colors start to come off at the first round of skeet if I'm doing the carrying.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #10
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,074 Times in 1,190 Posts

"I apologize to those who considered my mention of rust blueing as Blasphemous"

You are right there... nothing is worse then seeing a blued receiver on a Parker (Repo or not) if you want new case colors send it to Turnbull and as mentioned spraying as Bill said with Behrens spray lacquer will help keep the wear down. Eric
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote