Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 02-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,614 Times in 2,667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Beilke View Post
That is discouraging. Aren't they the same single trigger as the original Parkers? Jim

Yes, they are, and.......

Never oil a Parker single trigger, that's been said since the originals were made. If they are in good shape, and not gummed, not worn, then most of the time they will not double. Babe Del Grego is reputed to say that he could get any single trigger to double, even one in good condition.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
single trigger
Unread 02-10-2011, 08:41 PM   #12
Jim Beilke
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default single trigger

Thanks for all the references and the lubing advice. No problems yet, lets hope it stays that way. Jim
Jim Beilke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 08:12 AM   #13
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

When it comes to double gun maintenance, it seems to me we have double standards.

We seek and worship guns that "...have never had the screws turned...".

Yet, there are a good number of prolific target shooters into doubleguns that know Perazzi and Krieghoff guns, to name a couple, recommend regular servicing.

So a 70-80 yr old single trigger (or 20-30 in the case of the Repro) starts acting up, after no maintenance for no one knows how long, and it gets a bad rap for its design, or more commonly, single triggers get lumped into one bucket and deemed all as unreliable novelties.

If you've ever openned up a 100 yr old gun "...with screws that have never been turned.." you know where I'm coming from. These pics are an example of a gun I openned a few yrs back.

After seeing this, I was surprized it functioned as long as it did, until I had a problem.

OK, I'm done

I mean no offense, but rather intended to put some perspective on this issue and maybe start a dialogue.
Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #14
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,614 Times in 2,667 Posts

Regular servicing on the internal mechanism is fine; just don't oil the SST mechanism.

That's not my recommendation; I don't own a Parker single trigger and have no way to personally know. I'm passing on what has been said here for many years by people with experience with the Parker single trigger.

The problem with turning screws in a Parker is not the turning, it is the butchering and buggering the screw slots, and then putting the screws back in the wrong holes, and then beating down the floor plate because its hard to fit back correctly, etc, etc. Done by an expert or somebody who has skill , patience and the right tools, no problem. You look at Parkers on these internet sales sites and you see many examples of the old saying that more Parkers have been harmed by people messing with them than by any other reason.

Somebody turned the screws on this one:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pix788807809.jpg (49.2 KB, 3 views)
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 01:23 PM   #15
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Good pics Chuck. I've harped about this for years. Just about every Parker I take apart looks like that. I'm guessing that one cleaned up just fine based on what I've experienced. It's amazing how gummed up they can be and still work just fine.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #16
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

I own a single trigger Repro. We thought it was developing a single trigger problem. My son Danny was shooting the gun more than I and he had a few cases of it doubling. It turned out that he wasn't shouldering the gun tightly enough and recoil was bouncing the gun on his shoulder thus causing him to bump the trigger. So that is something to watch for.

I have been told that the Repro single trigger is very close to the Parker two screw single trigger but not exactly. Maybe someone with knowledge of this mechanism will chime in here and clear this up.
Unread 02-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #17
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Flanders View Post
Good pics Chuck. I've harped about this for years. Just about every Parker I take apart looks like that. I'm guessing that one cleaned up just fine based on what I've experienced. It's amazing how gummed up they can be and still work just fine.

Rich,
yeah, that's probably a testament to how mechanically simple they and large part's resistance to interference from debris.

But a single trigger is on a different scale. No way it would tolerate this type of junk in a single trigger, maybe no single trigger design out there.
Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote