Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Unread 06-02-2010, 03:55 AM   #41
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

You don't know what you're missing on scrapple. The PA boys got me to eating it and I'm addicted. Fried eggs, toast, and scrapple is a duck hunters breakfast for sure.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 08:13 AM   #42
C grade
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,233 Times in 454 Posts

George
I was at Jim Kelly"s shop this week and saw the gun-Very Very nice. Email the pictures and I will post them for you
daviddwyer01@gmail.com
D
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #43
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,680 Times in 1,644 Posts

George, Pinto beans Hot cornbread with home made butter steamed cabbage in bacon grease! It don"t get any better makes the eyesite better when looking at parkers. best gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Gutta Percha? insulator
Unread 06-14-2010, 11:40 AM   #44
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Gutta Percha? insulator

As in a 'dielectric' insulator- best choice is Mica-- Ashville NC and the old Diamond Mica Co. My GrandDad made a lot of molds for them in the pre-WW11 years.

Scrapple- my cardiologist would have a big chcukle out of that as a steady diet- like the Four Redneck food groups- Salt- Sugar- Bacon Grease and White Lightin'-- Wow
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 12:15 PM   #45
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,231 Times in 12,375 Posts

However unfortunate (or fortunate) it may be that Dave's scrapple came home in my cooler it ceratainly won't go to waste. I sliced it up into 1/4" thick slabs and packaged it and froze it for the next time I see Dave.... but I fried up the two end slabs for myself, nice and crispy brown on each side (remarkable how little grease there really is in this stuff) and it is really good!!

I think a good portion of it should go to grouse camp this fall. Mmm-mm! Vermont maple syrup on Scrapple and a few eggs should give these old legs the necessary endurance for a frosty morning's hunt....

Hey, has anybody noticed that the Summer Solstice is about upon us? - Then, only three months until the Autumnal Equinox and the season of Rejuvination for us all.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 06-14-2010, 02:56 PM   #46
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Good idea Dean! Pack it up and off to grouse camp it shall go!....Can,t wait to try it.... Maybe a new tradition in the making....or sum such..
Unread 06-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #47
10ga Hammer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Dean, The Maple syrup sounds great, But I'll have mine Penna. Dutch style, with a smear of APPLE BUTTER on top if you please
"Double guns are a sport and a pastime built into a beautiful package to which I attach myself when entering the great theater of autumn, those days now grow more precious because we are given so few".. Robin Lacy
Robert Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 05:38 PM   #48
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

That sounds good too and fits right in with my Pennsylvania Deutsch ancestry. My Dad came from SW PA, Greensburg to be exact and of good Lutheran stock - one of eight children and the only one to attend and graduate college.
Unread 06-14-2010, 07:10 PM   #49
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,972 Times in 1,421 Posts

Dean, try and save a few slices for Dave. You may have already done this but after slicing, separate each slice with wax paper before freezing.

Glad to hear of your Pa German background. Many confuse Pa Dutch with those from Holland when it's actually those who came from Germany, Austria, and Switzerland who initially settled in Pa north of Phila, then migrated west.

Although my last name is Bishop, the name was shortened at the turn of the 19th century from Bishopberger/Bischofsberger. Through genealogy research, I've met 4th and 5th generation cousins who every year have a scrapplefest which has been written up in local newspapers. They were kind enough to invite me a few years ago to partake in a breakfast of scrapple. I guess my gastronomical taste got lost somewhere because I really don't care for scrapple. Go figure!
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 06-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #50
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Yes, I seperated each slice from the next before freezing.

The family stories my Dad used to tell were a great history for me and I remember them all. I have all the photos he left me though none from his home when he was a child. I can't figure why - he was of a very well-to-do family so it's not as if they couldn't afford a camera