Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

turkey hunting
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
Andrew Karle
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default turkey hunting

I have a double barrel Damascus steel manufactured in 1896, which belonged to my great-grandfather, I would love to shoot my first turkey with this shotgun. It appears to have an abrupt ring in the chamber is this just for brass shells? Where can I find the shells and what shot do I need for turkey?
Andrew
Andrew Karle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

andrew you can shoot smokeless powder in the gun if you go by the book and if barrels are in fairly good shape..if you are not a reloader your self then i would buy the RST brand of shells lite loads they are made with care and will kill a turkey if you do your part.. i would get a box of no 6 and a box of no 4...use the 6 in the right barrel and the no 4 in the left barrel...old saying goes if the right one dont getcha then the left one will..depending on how much choke you gun has it should get a turkey easy at 35 steps and if its full choke on out to 45 steps but draw the line at 45 steps... hope you get a turkey were waiting on pictures .... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
Andrew Karle
Forum Associate

Member Info

thanks Charlie all my life Ive wanted to use this gun and everyone I talked to said they are dangerous just hang it on the wall. Well my greatgrandfather used it and everyone else used them whats the problem . I do reload rifle and shotgun but I need to look into what I need to reload for my Parker. I ordered two boxes of #6 shot RST my choke is between full and extra full. Mark said they pattern very well but you have a point if one wont the other one will. Andrew
Andrew Karle is offline   Reply With Quote