Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

When a Five Gallon Bucket Just Won't Do....
Unread 07-02-2019, 02:54 PM   #1
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,158 Posts

Default When a Five Gallon Bucket Just Won't Do....

I've not been on the site in ages, been moving house and a thousand other things. Turned 49 this month and I thought a gift to myself was required for passing the near half century mark.

I've always despised the use of a five gallon bucket for a hunting / fishing seat. If there's anything that doesn't go with a nice double barrel shotgun it's a plastic bucket. But I never knew what to replace one with, they are a useful article for certain.

Then I ran into a Facebook page called "Custom Cypress" and the guy makes a thing the cajuns call a "bedon". They're a wooden bucket they used to tote their shells, coffee bottle, and other small hunting articles in. So I asked him could he make a sort of magnum bedon that was the same size as a five gallon bucket....

$210 dollars (shipped) later here is the result. I have a nice piece of old army canvas I'm going to used to make a pad for the top and I'm going to give it a dose of "duck boat green" paint on the outside.

Not a piece of metal in it, all made by hand with wooden pegs and slats. Seems solid as a rock and surprisingly light, made from good cypress lumber.

If anybody thinks they might want one send me a PM and I'll give you his info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190702_135548.jpg (508.1 KB, 12 views)
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV

Last edited by Destry L. Hoffard; 07-02-2019 at 03:18 PM..
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2019, 03:15 PM   #2
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,386 Times in 594 Posts

I have missed your humorous posts and stories, welcome back and keep posting.
Daniel Carter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post:
Unread 07-02-2019, 03:16 PM   #3
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

just be careful you don't kick it

nice piece of hand work
Unread 07-02-2019, 03:18 PM   #4
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Kicking it can handle, I think you could drag this behind a truck for a mile and not do it much hurt. This thing seems tuff.....
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV

Last edited by Destry L. Hoffard; 07-02-2019 at 03:44 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 07-02-2019, 03:44 PM   #5
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destry L. Hoffard View Post
Kicking it can handle, I think you could drag this behind a truck for a mile and not do it much hunter. This thing seems tuff.....
still - don't kick a bucket -

good to have you back on BTW
Unread 07-02-2019, 03:59 PM   #6
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Bahahhhaaa!!!! I completely missed the gag the 1st time.
Unread 07-02-2019, 04:03 PM   #7
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,554 Times in 1,095 Posts

Good looking Bucket / Seat ! I never cared much for a 5 Gallon Plastic Bucket either ,I switched to Tree stands ! First Wooden 2X4's nailed into trees then Store bought climbers now I am thinking about ladder stands because my 49TH was some time ago ,by the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY ! Never sat in a Duck Blind but would think this will be awful handy ! Welcome back to the Forum always Great to read your posts !
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2019, 05:22 PM   #8
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Jackson View Post
Good looking Bucket / Seat ! I never cared much for a 5 Gallon Plastic Bucket either ,I switched to Tree stands ! First Wooden 2X4's nailed into trees then Store bought climbers now I am thinking about ladder stands because my 49TH was some time ago ,by the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY ! Never sat in a Duck Blind but would think this will be awful handy ! Welcome back to the Forum always Great to read your posts !
I’ve killed deer from what was put there as a duck blind . Was in Southern Maryland for the ML season and killed a pair of slicks from a well casing buried in the ground . I had a bag chair I was sitting on inside the casing . I prefer climbers up 30 feet or so but I was hunting with someone else so while in Rome . Oh yeah I’ll be 60 in two years and 25 days
Unread 07-02-2019, 04:52 PM   #9
Hixie
PGCA Member

Member Info

That is a fantastic looking bucket, never seen one like it. I agree that while 5 gallon plastic buckets are incredibly useful to have around, they are unsightly and certainly do not have the vintage look.

Swamp cypress is very durable wood, very resistant to rot and probably doesn't need any finish. But an oil, stain or paint finish is a good way to add your personal touch to it.

How about a couple of photos showing the inside of the bucket, the lid off, and how the lid stays on the bucket?

Welcome back!
Ted Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ted Hicks For Your Post:
Unread 07-02-2019, 07:30 PM   #10
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

My plan is to paint it duck boat green and add a canvas pad to the top. Should be pretty comfortable.

I'll post a couple more pics here in a bit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post: