Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Plymouth Jake
Unread 05-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #1
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,729 Times in 1,250 Posts

Default Plymouth Jake

Species: Eastern Turkey
Sex: Correction - Bearded Female
Date: 5/6/13
Time of Death: 6:14 am EST
Cause of Death: Walked into path of oncoming lead shot.

Note: when I shot this turkey I incorrectly assumed it was a 'Jake' as there was a noticeable beard, the head had mottled red spots etc. so I posted it as a Jake. However, when later this morning I processed the bird and was emptying the innards, out came an egg much to my surprise (!!) and upon further reading, it was apparent that the bird was a bearded female, somewhat uncommon. But legal to have taken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1394.jpg (547.9 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by allen newell; 05-06-2013 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: change info
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to allen newell For Your Post:
Unread 05-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Allen that is indeed a beautiful and dumb bird not to watch where it was walking. Congratulations. Tell us more about the Parker that launched such a fusillade.

Dennis
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

The Parker is a 16 ga. VH. ser# 221866 (1927) Purchased by my grandfather in Boston, Ma. In 1939 and while shooting hand trap on his farm (second home) in Bow, NH with his older sons, the recoil of this Parker struck his nose causing internal bleeding. He went home to Dedham, Ma with a headache and was dead by next morning of a cerebral hemmorage. The 16' passed to his youngest son, my father, who hunted with it until he was no longer able to hunt having contracted ALS. After my Dad's passing, I inherited it. About 7 years ago, I had DelGrego's rebuild it with new wood, and case colors by Turnbull. My grandfather had ordered this gun (so I was told by my Dad) with extreme drop and a very short LOP. By the time I had inherited it, the wood was beyond recovery, case colors were virtually non existent, one barrel had a dent in it. It needed and cried out for a rebuild if I was going to shoot it and hand it down to Logan, my oldest grandson and who was accompanying me this morning when I shot the bearded female that I had believed was young Tom (Jake) in the picture above. We've come full circle with this gun and it's ready for the next generation.

Last edited by allen newell; 05-06-2013 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: correct for bird's sex
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allen newell For Your Post:
Unread 05-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,789 Times in 3,967 Posts

allen thats a fine bird...i ve yet to take one with 16 ga...what load did you use to kill this turkey and how many steps... and what are the length of barrels and how is it choked... you have a family heirloom and some great stories to go with it.. hope the grandson gets a turkey with it... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Charlie, took the bird with 7 1/2's at about 25 yds. chokes are mod and improved. Barrel length is 28 inches. LOP is 15". chambers are 2 3/4".