Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Single Barrel Trap Shotguns

Notices

Unread 01-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #51
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

deleted
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #52
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,984 Times in 1,425 Posts

Steve, if you can show me a picture of a splinter forend on a Parker SBT I'd appreciate it cause I've never seen one. The picture of Annie shooting at the 1925 Grand and the examples of your SBT forend are all beavertail forends.

I'd bet your forend is original to the gun.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #53
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bishop View Post
Steve, if you can show me a picture of a splinter forend on a Parker SBT I'd appreciate it cause I've never seen one. The picture of Annie shooting at the 1925 Grand and the examples of your SBT forend are all beavertail forends.

I'd bet your forend is original to the gun.
Chuck: This is all I've got of the forearm.
Unread 01-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #54
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McCarty View Post
Chuck: This is all I've got of the forearm on my gun. I'll have to see if I can find a splinter forearm on a SBT. I thought that the pic of Annie O showed a splinter forearm.

Are all SBT forearms beaver tail? I don't know, but since mine does not match the butt stock at all I figured it was a replacement.
Unread 01-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #55
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Here's what I've got Chuck. The forearm does not match the stock very well, which is very nice, as you can see. There is a sizable chip out of the bottom of the wrist alongside the lower tang, but I'm not going to do anything about it. Call it patina.

No marks at all at the breech end of the barrel. It is an early SBT, 177853, I think (from memory). I have only seen one earlier and that was in the pages of the Parker magazine.

Not the best focus, but you can see it's an early SBT and obviously a SC.

Unread 01-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #56
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,893 Times in 4,768 Posts

Your forearm looks like an original. Nice early gun with scroll on the trigger plate. My first Parker single is #177,741, traded a pair of Model 21s for it. It came with the original case and tags and in new condition. I didn't want to give up the Model 21s, but I had no money and I had to have the trap gun. I have shot that SC since 1973 and the receiver is not as nice as it was when it came home with me, but I wouldn't miss forty years of shooting all those targets in good weather and bad.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #57
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,984 Times in 1,425 Posts

The forend is a Parker forend but is the wood original to the gun? It could also be that the straight stock is a replacement and not original and that's why the colors don't match. Is the S/N of the gun and a 4 stamped in the wood under the trigger guard? If it's there, then it's possible the wood has been refinished to a different color or Parker just did a poor match of color.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #58
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,326 Times in 12,398 Posts

The mullered borders of the forend appear to be slightly different from the mullered borders of the stock - or maybe it's just the quality of the pictures.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #59
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bishop View Post
The forend a Parker forend but is the wood original to the gun? It could also be that the straight stock is a replacement and not original and that's why the colors don't match. Is the S/N of the gun and a 4 stamped in the wood under the trigger guard? If it's there, then it's possible the wood has been refinished to a different color or Parker just did a poor match of color.
Indeed the stock could be a replacement, but it sure fits well, as original Parker wood does. I have not removed the trigger guard because I hate to mess with the screws, even tho I have good screw drivers. The S# on the inside of the forearm matches the gun and the case colors glow. No color on the lower tang so it was shot quite a bit. Original owner was Ray Folger, of coffee fame. Pretty good sized chip missing alongside the lower tang, as if someone removed the trigger guard and pulled off a piece off wood with it. I've seen that happen before. The chiped place is slightly worn, so the gun was shot after it was damaged, probably by the original owner.

It was badly stored. When I got it, it had been kept in a cheap plastic case which did not breath. The gun was literally coated with rust and the pad was trash. I very carefully removed the rust, but the gun still shows some pitting. Paid $1500 for the gun to the son-in-law of the original owner. The man was burglerized and they took all of his shotguns (a complete group of 21s) but this one.

I shoot this shotgun weekly. Last year I shot mostly skeet, but this coming spring/summer I'm going to concentrate on trap and shooting this great, classic Parker.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve McCarty For Your Post:
Unread 01-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #60
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
The mullered borders of the forend appear to be slightly different from the mullered borders of the stock - or maybe it's just the quality of the pictures.
I'm still trying to produce close up and in focus photos to post here. My eyes, ears and everything else is getting old. Okay, it's an excuse and we know what excuses are don't we.