Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 11-11-2009, 07:56 AM   #11
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

Thanks to all who served......

Harry Collins QMC(SS)/LT
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 08:09 AM   #12
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,605 Times in 2,666 Posts

6am and waiting for Charlie and we will go north.

In Gulf War I was out of bombers and helping run a C-130 squadron. We had a night offload in Saudi and then we were told we had expedited passengers and return cargo. On came our passengers ( pax). One was a young Marine coming back to Aviano then change planes to Frankfurt. He had been behind the berms in southern Kuwait watching the power and light show, hearing explosions. They had advanced to the Iraqi trenches and wire and mine defenses then the Marine charge order came, lead by the sergeants and Lts. Gunships were firing, explosions all around. The Marine said he felt himself lifted by an explosion but knew he had to advance so he kept running until he felt himself sinking lower and lower on one side and fell over. He looked down and saw that his foot had been blown off by a mine.

So this is Veterans Day, and these young men have risen for our country time and time again, and will carry on.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 11-11-2009, 08:44 AM   #13
Lee St.Clair
Forum Associate

Member Info

To all thise that served, thank you so very much for what you did for me. To help keep this country free for me.
Those of world war 2 came home as heros, and you were....thank you.
The 'forgotten war', Korea. Korea has 2 of the 12 largest Christian churches in the world. This would not be if not for those of you who fought there. Thank you. (as tears come) Korea is also second only to the United States in sending Bibles to countries that they are desperately wanted in and needed. This also would not be if you had not fought for their freedom to worship freely as they so chose. Thank you immensly for what you did for them.
Then the Viet Nam war. My heart cries when I think of the reception you recieved upon returning home. What you did was serve your country as any other guy(or lady) did in the military. A friend of mine was called 'baby killer' when he returned. That stands out in his mind to this day. Those that are able to treat American men and women that served our country(and therefore served 'us') this way know not unconditional love. And what an empty existance. My heart cries for them. You served our country and therefore served me, thank you so very much for the sacrifices you made and for risking your lives for me!!!
Those of you who served during peace times also a heart felt thank you to you. You volunteered to risk your lives for this country and for me also.
Words can not express the gratitude I have for each and every one of you. I wish I could shake the hand and look in the eye of each one of you so you could feel how much I appreciate what you have done for me. Thank you. May God bless you all abundantly for what you have done(and to those still doing it) for me. Lee
Lee St.Clair is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Lee St.Clair For Your Post:
Uncommon Valor Was (and still is) a Common Virtue
Unread 11-11-2009, 08:53 AM   #14
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Uncommon Valor Was (and still is) a Common Virtue

I hope the late USN Adm. Chester Nimitz will allow me to paraphrase his words, which are inscribed on the base of the USMC Monument in DC, just up river from Arlington National Cemetery. Colonel Day's description of the young Marine who lost a foot in that fire fight rings true- and not just for the USMC but for all forward units in combat, regardless of rank, unit, division or Branch of Military Service. If you read his post carefully would will see that the NCO's and the Platoon Commanders (Lts.) were out in front, as all leaders must be.

I think many, too many indeed, of us who have served, no matter in which time frame or combat theater have lost a close friend to the tragedy that any war or armed conflict brings. My best friend from school days (50 years ago) went to OSU on a football scholarship, did his ROTC and was a 1st. Lt. in the Army, 82nd. Airborne Division, then into the 5th SF- he was "on point" near Pleiku in Feb 1966- hit a trip wire, turned and hit the ground with the next trooper behind him (we called them slack men back then) and covered him to shield him from the frags- Don died doing that, received both the Purple Heart and a Silver Star- I have a tracing of him name from the wall and both his jump wings and one of his Lt. bars in a special place-and I look at those things each year on this day--His sacrifice exemplified the leadership that Colonel Day detailed for us here- He may be gone, but will never be forgotten- never!!

Last edited by Francis Morin; 11-11-2009 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: Correct first name for late Adm. Nimitz
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #15
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

I would also like to thank my fellow veterans for their service. Be they Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, or Marine with service of a day or three decades we all answered the call to service. Thanks for being on my flank!

Mark Ouellette
Captain, USMC retired
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 11-13-2009, 09:32 PM   #16
Mike
Forum Associate

Member Info

A big thanks to the men and women in our armed services! I went to the local USMC birthday celebration 11-7. It was a blast. Lots of Staffs and Gunnies were there. Two WW!! veterans were there also. Both in their 80's now but still looking tough as ever.
The youngest Marine there was a 23 yr old LCpl. Richard I'm sorry about your Brother.
Mike
PS the cake was good too.
Mike Wilkerson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Wilkerson For Your Post:
Unread 11-13-2009, 10:29 PM   #17
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Thanks Mike. I just wish casualties like him could have been included on the wall in DC
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
USMC birthday is 10 Nov- not 7/11 0r Nov 7th-
Unread 11-13-2009, 10:58 PM   #18
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default USMC birthday is 10 Nov- not 7/11 0r Nov 7th-

But that's OK-we start celebrating "The Few The Proud - The first to go in and the last to leave" early- On Veteran's Day our area restaurants offered a free meal (not drinks) to ALL vets- regardless of branch or where and when they served- still some WW11 guys left- sat at the bar at Wapplebee's and with some returning soldiers from "The Sandbox" both !st Air Cav and 101st Airborne, next to me a recently discharged female Navy Petty Officer (E-5) and then another gent came and sat down next to me- 5th Airborne WW11- gliders- aka- 'flying coffins"--On 10 Nov we went to the legion (I am a member) and celebrated- shot pool, toasted our fallen buddies and read off the names from The Wall-Marines-all paid the price for our freedoms, no matter rank or MOS- Semper Fi!!!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote