Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Trojan Parker 12 gauge 3"
Unread 04-02-2019, 12:21 AM   #1
Live A Life Of Purpose
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Trojan Parker 12 gauge 3"

I recently saw a few posts on the PGCA on the different models of Parkers that would be a 3" 12-gauge shotgun. After reading the posts I put a bid in on an auction for a 12-gauge VH Parker that was labeled as a 3" shotgun that is rare so I made and offer and won the auction. However upon receiving the gun the Parker is a Trogan shotgun, and it has the model number for a Trojan on a #2 frame, but the there is also a marking that notes 3" next to the weight of the barrels. Has anyone ever saw this before and could have someone ordered a custom 3" in a Trojan 12-gauge shotgun. I just received the gun and I was going to have the gun looked over to see if everything is legitimate on the gun. Thoughts?
EddyDehmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2019, 06:13 AM   #2
Rick Riddell
Forum Associate

Member Info

In all likelihood, no. Pics of the flats would help clear up any questions.
Rick Riddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2019, 09:24 AM   #3
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,413 Times in 4,592 Posts

Who told you it was rare? The seller?

Labeled at 3”? Parker did not mark their guns with chamber length. So a gun marked as 3” is an immediate red flag that it was altered to that state.

I do not know what you paid, and I am not asking. And it really does not matter.
But if it was advertised as a V grade and you got a trojan, it was misadvertised and you didnt know better to tell the difference from the start. It may be best to take advantage of that return policy, if there was one, and get out from under it.

That being said... 2 frame barrels are usually very stout (especially on a trojan) and can take the chambers being lengthened to 3” without a problem. It is best to get the gun checked out if you do keep it, but i would not think you would have any major concerns with safety due to chamber length.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 04-02-2019, 10:22 AM   #4
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,718 Posts

If the gun is a normal well used Trojan with traces of case colors, it would (or should) be priced at $500 to $750. Possibly, you should return the gun if you paid more than that. It was misrepresented. We would like to see pictures.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2019, 12:32 PM   #5
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,248 Times in 1,125 Posts

I agree with the above. The gun was obviously mislabeled, and misrepresented.
If you otherwise like the gun, maybe the seller could adjust the price, in lieu of having the gun returned.
You need to start the dialogue ASAP.
todd allen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Photos
Unread 04-02-2019, 03:27 PM   #6
Live A Life Of Purpose
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Photos

So I put an offer on both a 20-gauge and a 12-gauge, both labeled as VH Parkers and they ended up being Trojan Shotguns. Normally Rock Island is very accurate on their guns so I was going to reach out to them on this. Both guns are supposed to be original and the serial numbers do match. The 20-gauge is "0" frame so I would like to keep as outside of the blueing not in perfect condition the gun is very nice and overall condition is good. I'm going to get the barrels looked at tomorrow. I primarily hunt upland and was excited to have the 12-gauge 3" so I would feel comfortable with 2 3/4" shells off RST for pheasants and grouse. I will know more after I verify if the gun can take 3" shells as that is what is listed. If it won't take them, I will send the 12-gauge back as I feel I was sold false information off the website. Regardless I will try and get money back as I would not have paid what I did if I knew they were Trojans and not VH grade. Suggestions are greatly appreciated, also if you have a recommendation on who you like for getting your Parkers serviced and refinished would be great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3371.jpg (500.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3372.jpg (506.8 KB, 30 views)
Unread 04-02-2019, 03:37 PM   #7
Live A Life Of Purpose
Forum Associate

Member Info

In the auction viewing you only could see the both sides of the guns and not the top of the barrel to see the model or steel verification and I was not given the frame size neither. You could not get a close up to see the checkered pattern around the receiver to see if it was a VH or Trojan as I tried to distinguish on the bidding, so after my research from different sources and them telling me it was a VH this is why I assumed a 3" was correct. I just want to thank all of you for your help as I have learned so much about these guns as I grew up as a kid always wanting a Parker Shotgun but I never thought I would be blessed to own a couple of them. Thanks again everyone for all your help. It is so appreciated to own a piece of history and excited to pass this on to my 3 young sons in the future as they are excited to carry on the legacy of hunting and shooting a Parker as well.
Unread 04-02-2019, 04:29 PM   #8
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,413 Times in 4,592 Posts

Eddy,

For future reference, please note that the shape of a trojan frame is completely different than any other grade of Parker. Checkering pattern is also different. Basically, if you know the grade, you can tell them apart from any other grade from any angle at nearly any distance.
Unread 04-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #9
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyDehmer View Post
In the auction viewing you only could see the both sides of the guns and not the top of the barrel to see the model or steel verification and I was not given the frame size neither. You could not get a close up to see the checkered pattern around the receiver to see if it was a VH or Trojan as I tried to distinguish on the bidding, so after my research from different sources and them telling me it was a VH this is why I assumed a 3" was correct. I just want to thank all of you for your help as I have learned so much about these guns as I grew up as a kid always wanting a Parker Shotgun but I never thought I would be blessed to own a couple of them. Thanks again everyone for all your help. It is so appreciated to own a piece of history and excited to pass this on to my 3 young sons in the future as they are excited to carry on the legacy of hunting and shooting a Parker as well.
Eddy, I've not been able to see enough detail of the barrel flats, but the barrels appear to say "Trojan Steel" not "Vulcan Steel" as would be the case in a Trojan Grade. I've bought from Rock Island many times over the years. IF the large bold print states that the gun(s) are VH grade and they are not, you should be able to get back your money. Rock Island does not guarantee the condition assessment, but does stand behind what shows up in bold print. Check their website and you can see their statement regarding what they do and don't guarantee. Having said this, you may have still gotten a good pair of guns at a price you can live with. I would not get caught up in the 3 inch issue unless the chambers were inappropriately lengthened making them unsafe. Rock Island won't guarantee against that. I also noticed that the barrels have the extended rib, a feature that some find more desirable (I know I do) in a Trojan.

If you are not happy with your purchase, you should rectify the matter with Rock Island, but a couple of Trojans for a good price is, well, a couple of quality made guns from one of the best gun makers in American history.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 04-02-2019, 06:26 PM   #10
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

Just on a whim I went back to the regional auction site and found a 12 and 20 "VH" listing which included what are clearly Trojans in the pictures. So, you should have a good case for a return. However, you did get a 20 gauge and a 12. IF they are in good shape (they appeared to be in the photos, but you can't tell about the barrels, etc. beyond the cosmetic), I'd sure consider keeping -- and using -- them. Get the guns checked out, especially the 12, if the chambers have been lengthened.

There is a timeframe for returning guns. You should check on that right away if you are thinking of returning them.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: