Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 12-27-2018, 01:22 PM   #31
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

What a great classic picture Steve! I found a pic of my third big Can taken up here in 2011. Didn't realize it was THAT long ago. Damn. This was a big one also. Got a goose the same day. This is a great duck gun. 30" #2 frame VH12 with a stout wrist. Doesn't mind stout loads. I'd highly recommend this kayak also. It's a 14ft kevlar "Poke Boat" made in Kentucky(?) and only weighs 23# and is very stable for a kayak.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big Can 9-11-11 mail.jpg (458.0 KB, 3 views)
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 12-27-2018, 05:18 PM   #32
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,215 Times in 896 Posts

I have been a dedicated duck hunter here in NH for more years than I care to remember, but have never shot a Can. I really wish that I could as I would add it to the wall. I have always read that they are the best eating duck. Can any of you "Can" hunters comment on that?
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2018, 05:39 PM   #33
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,273 Times in 2,427 Posts

Well Steve, back in the 60's or 70's down here in the Chesapeake there were the best eating bird. But as with any other bird it all depends on what they have been eating. Back then they would concentrate heavily in the upper Susquehanna River flats and would feed on bay grasses and they were delicious. Now, not so much as the grasses are gone and they feed on various invertebrates which gives them that fishy taste. They still are a handsome bird.
Unread 12-27-2018, 06:11 PM   #34
Steve Kleist
Forum Associate

Member Info

Steven and Daryl,
Everyone has a favorite table duck.
Back in the early 1900's the market hunters could sell a canvasback in the Chicago markets for $2.....consider that a new vehicle back then cost about $200. Someone must have thought they were pretty good!
Both cans and redheads are exceptional.
Best Fishes,
Steve Kleist Ely, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hodges View Post
I have been a dedicated duck hunter here in NH for more years than I care to remember, but have never shot a Can. I really wish that I could as I would add it to the wall. I have always read that they are the best eating duck. Can any of you "Can" hunters comment on that?

Last edited by Steve Kleist; 12-27-2018 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: Should be Steven and Daryl
Steve Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Kleist For Your Post:
Unread 12-27-2018, 06:33 PM   #35
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks guys. Here in NH our best eating duck, according to me, is our early season wood ducks that have been feeding on acorns. Very nice.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 12-27-2018, 08:51 PM   #36
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

Got into a woodie shoot several years ago, and when we cleaned them, I found 16 acorns in each one of them, from gullet to crop. All the tops of the acorns had been removed. I can't remove the tops with my fingers, They are very adept. Does anyone have a guess on how much food that represents? A day, week, month?
Unread 12-27-2018, 09:21 PM   #37
Matt Buckley
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,182 Times in 260 Posts

Canvasbacks are the best eating diver in my opinion and one of the best overall ducks to eat. A northern corn feed Mallard is still hard to beat in my book. When you read about the old market hunters targeting canvasbacks they always wanted the ones feeding on wild celery because they were the best eating. I have shot several overtime here in Minnesota and South Dakota but there numbers in our flyway are down compared to what they once were. I live about an hour from Heron Lake which around the turn of the century was one of the premier Canvasback hunting destinations in the country.
Matt Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Matt Buckley For Your Post:
Unread 12-27-2018, 09:35 PM   #38
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

Natural ebbs and flows are very complicated. About 20 years ago Lake St Clair, between Detroit and Windsor Canada was invaded by a small mussel called a zebra mussel. They were very effective at clearing the water because they are filter feeders. As a result, water clarity improved substantially, and two things happened. Number one the Musky fishing in Lake St Claire has become spectacular. Secondly, Great Lakes Canvasback shooting has become substantially better, because natural plant life has improved substantially, and the cans are now feeding on the grass rather than mussels.
Unread 12-27-2018, 10:07 PM   #39
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

John, maybe some time you and I can drag Destry across to the lake and have a duck hunt of it. I've had some great shooting over there at times and always had a good time regardless of the take.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2018, 08:20 AM   #40
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dallas View Post
Got into a woodie shoot several years ago, and when we cleaned them, I found 16 acorns in each one of them, from gullet to crop. All the tops of the acorns had been removed. I can't remove the tops with my fingers, They are very adept. Does anyone have a guess on how much food that represents? A day, week, month?
I don't know the exact answer to that because in a good acorn year the Woodies will be constantly feeding on them. I have been miles from a pond and have flushed wood ducks both off the forest floor and out of the branches of Oaks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post: