Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 12-21-2018, 03:04 PM   #11
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,436 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Christie View Post
It seems to me to be asking a lot of a 20ga with at most maybe 7/8 oz of 4s to reliably kill a 10+ pound heavily feathered fat coated big boned bird at 35 plus yards. Yes there is the dramatic head shot but absent that crippled geese is the expected result. Feet down, flaps down, cupped wings in your face at 15 yards-yes; otherwise 35 or more I believe we owe a noble bird a bit more respect. Others may well differ.
I do agree, not my go to goose gun, but i have killed more geese with my 20 ga per shot than my 10 ga or 12ga. So i guess what i am saying is i take high percentage shots at geese when i am duck hunting with my 20 and happen to have geese passing by. I shoot lots of test patterns with my guns and found 7/8ths oz bismuth and lead 6s work the best out of my 20 ga i dont hold geese more noble than an other bird i hunt. I try my best to use the wright gun and shot size needed to do the job. Some time a opertunity happens and you have a choise to shoot or not. We have all lost birds and it sucks to do. I have done this duck hunting thing for a few years now and killed lots of waterfowl with my 20s and will continue to do so until my body tells me i am done
Scott
Unread 12-21-2018, 05:42 PM   #12
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,380 Posts

Red face

With all due respect to the naysayers a 20 or even a 28 for waterfowl is not for everyone. But then again I'm not breaking wings or body shooting them. I take pains to have the best decoys spread possible and I consider myself an above average caller. If I can't get them to commit to within 40yds. I won't shoot. But when I do I take head shots. I shoot loads of clay targets to practice for hunting season and with a little bit of practice anyone can learn to focus on the leading edge be it a clay bird or a game bird.

When lead was legal, a 20 was all I shot. Now with the advent of the improved Bismuth and Tungsten Matrix the smallbores are back in business.

Scott, Mark and the rest of you smallbore waterfowlers enjoy your season.