Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 07-23-2015, 09:42 AM   #21
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

The letter request is in.

I'm really looking forward to getting the gun in hand to see it up close. I'll let everyone know my thoughts after I see it first hand.

Dean; Thank you for all the kind words & thoughts about this gun.
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paul Ehlers For Your Post:
Unread 07-23-2015, 09:56 AM   #22
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Noble View Post
Dean, you did the due diligence, why didn't you end up with this jewel?
Or did Paul just beat you to the punch?
I simply allowed myself to get 'hung up' on the shortened stock. If it hadn't been cut I would have hit the "Buy It Now" button when it first hit that website. The BIN price was very reasonable.
I suspected something had been done to the stock as evidenced by the re-contoured toe perimeter of the buttplate I saw in a picture the seller sent me.

Again, Congratulations Paul.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2015, 10:14 PM   #23
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

I think $1,750 is a good price for that gun. Honest condition and the barrels look uncut to me.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed Blake For Your Post:
Unread 07-23-2015, 10:35 PM   #24
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,371 Times in 3,072 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
I simply allowed myself to get 'hung up' on the shortened stock.
That is why we are very lucky to have amongst our group, a very talented few craftsmen, who turn our "dubious" purchases into 'keepers'. Names like Dawe, and Dudley, to name a few.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 07-24-2015, 12:17 PM   #25
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

I made a note on the letter application to look for any notations about the type of barrel steel and the LOP. The seller in the ad stated 13.1 " for length of pull "what ever 13.1 means to him ? "

If the stock has been cut, someone did one heck of a nice job refitting the DHBP after doing so. The widow's peak fit is beautiful, the profile is dead on, the screws are timed correctly etc. The only question is as Dean mentioned in that the border outline is weak at the lower portion "toe" of the plate.

I didn't ask about LOP specifically because the barrels had me sold on the purchase.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Ehlers For Your Post:
Unread 07-27-2015, 09:55 PM   #26
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

I'm absolutely amazed that the letter for this gun was in my mail box today. I just sent for it on-line on the 23rd & it's here in Denver on the 27th.

There's good news and some gray area information contained in it.

The good news is the 27" barrel length is confirmed. One of the gray areas though is the barrel type is listed as Damascus. Then there is a notation that there was a $6.00 credit given for barrels furnished. Now I'm wondering if that was due to the Laminated steel tubes or the 27" length. I'm leaning toward the Laminated side!!

The potential not so good news is the length of pull was 13 3/4" when it shipped from Meridan. Now I have to get the gun in hand so I can see what LOP the gun is wearing now. The other interesting thing is the gun was returned to the fatcory in December of 1900 to take out dents, clean & rebrown, blue the iron parts, redress stock & forearm and clean out the checkering. I take it redress means to refinish, but I now wonder if the stock may have been shortened at that time also?

The gun was ordered by an L.H. Mayott of Springfield, MA. on Aug 8 1890 delivered Dec 1 1890. The gun was returned by Howard C. French of Northhampton, MA. on Dec 13, 1900

Anyone know anything about either of these men?

I was notified today that the gun has been shipped. Will post my findings after I inspect the gun.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Ehlers For Your Post:
Unread 07-27-2015, 11:11 PM   #27
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Interesting stuff Paul.

The "barrels furnished" most likely came from a grade-1 top-action hammer gun made in the 1880's or early 1890's. I've owned a few of those, all 16 gauge guns made on the lightened 0-frame. The barrels I just received back from Brad are from such a gun.

I live in MA. but am not familiar with any history on either of those former owners.

Your barrels have good remaining contrast and condition. This is how they would look if refinished by Brad Bachelder.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0065.jpg (440.2 KB, 29 views)
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 07-27-2015, 11:31 PM   #28
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,925 Times in 1,410 Posts

Paul, the Damascus steel designation is found in both the order and stock book. What the credit for "barrels furnished" means I have no clue and there's no one ask at the factory, they are all dead! Looking at the picture, the stock length doesn't look real short, maybe he was measuring from the rear trigger. That's a real nice gun, congratulations.

Glad you liked the quick response on the research letter. Online does speed things up if you are in a hurry. As soon as Mary get's the request and confirmation on payment, she send it to me right away. I usually try to get the letters done within a day or two of receiving the request. All I do is sit around the house eating bon- bons and doing letters

P.S. Truth be told, I don't type the entire letter. Word templates are a great thing! Just fill in a few things and do a lot of cut and paste!
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 07-28-2015, 08:42 AM   #29
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,371 Times in 3,072 Posts

Mayott was a large and fairly well known sporting goods store in Springfield, MA, from before the turn of the century. I have had a couple guns that were ordered by them.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 07-28-2015, 10:34 PM   #30
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Dean: Thank you for the picture of your barrels. The laminate pattern really pop's on them. I always love to see Brad's work. He currently is restoring an early style engraving Grade -2 O-Frame 16ga & a B-Grade Damascus 12 of mine.

Chuck: Thanks again for the great service on the letter. It will be very helpful when I inspect the gun.

Edgar: Thanks for the information on Mayott sporting goods. I'll do some research on them when I get a chance.