Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 12-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #11
Carl Williams
Forum Associate

Member Info

Charlie:

The little Trojan is beautiful...However since the barrels are 26" with Mod. and IC. My guess is that the barrels have been cut. When weighing the barrels... the unstruck barrel weight is very close to the actual weight if I include the forend. I looked at the keels...they look very tight and smooth. barrels almost touch...maybe they do touch... I didn't see a smooth bar at the end of the rib...But then my
Parker PH (28" barrel) doesn't have one either and I know it has not been cut. If the Trojan was cut...it was done by a damn good gunsmith. Both of my parkers are 2 5/8 (2.625) Chambers...The PH grade is a 1927 year with Parker steel barrels ...The Trojan (1919 year) is Trojan steel...Sooo am I safe to shoot 2 3/4 (2.75) loads? ...OR should I get my reamer out and extend the chamber [0.125 (1/8th inch)]...then hone her a bit.

Remember...I told you all everything I know about Parker when I said hello...But...I love these guns....

P.S.-- How much is the valve drop if the trojan has been cut?...% wise I mean...

Carl

Last edited by Carl Williams; 12-02-2013 at 03:37 PM..
Carl Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #12
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

carl if them barrels are ok you can shoot the 2 3/4 inch shells all day..mind most of us shoot low brass shells on account of the wood but an ocasinal high brass will not bother these guns..the 2 2 5/8 inch chambers were made thus to get a better seal on the shell of 2 3/4 inch shells...now mind most folks stay away from steel shot especially if the gun has full chokes..most folks use bismuth or nice shot in the old doubles were required...you have a nice pair of parkers so enjoy them take them shooting or hunting... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 12-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #13
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,718 Posts

Without someone to measure your bores and chokes with a micrometer, your best bet to determine the originality of your Trojan is a PGCA letter, $40 for PGCA members. If it turns out to be an original 26" gun, it will be worth hundreds more than a cut gun. Some original guns have very little if any blank area at the end of the rib.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 12-11-2013, 04:50 AM   #14
Jawjadawg
Forum Associate

Member Info

P grade guns with modern steel barrels are desired variants by many people. If the stock is original then the police probably ought to be looking for you.
Unread 12-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #15
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Most Parkers in that era have 2 5/8" chambers meant for 2 3/4" or shorter shells.

The chambers were cut 1/8" shorter than the length of the fired shell to be used, in the belief that with the paper shells and fibre wads of the day, a better gas seal was created.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #16
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

No you didn't get burned - I think you did very well. Dean explained very well why the chambers were 2 5/8. Sherman Bell did test on short chambers with longer shells and you ain't gonna hurt a thing by using 2 3/4" shells in your guns. Maybe up the pressures by 500psi. That's why many of us reload - to keep pressures down with in reason - or buy low pressure shells from someone like RST. Have fun shooting em.