Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

What does grade code V mean?
Unread 06-14-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
john berg
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default What does grade code V mean?

I assume it means 5, which is a BH, but I am at a loss as to what this means. Serial # is 148894, I found 3 of the the 4 serial #s, vulcan steel, frame size 1.

I goofed something up, it used to open, close and fire, I have fired this, now I have opened it up to find this info and put it back together and it will not break open now, it looks like the ejectors are keeping it from breaking, might have something to do with the firing pins being forward (shot position?). It will break open just a little bit. Can anybody tell me how to fix this and keep it from happing again? It feels like I could force it open, but I am afraid to do this.

Yes, I did just inherit this, my Dad gave it to me to shoot about 10 years ago, he had it professionally appraised at $1,400.00 then, he didnt know that it might be worth something, just that I wanted a double barrel and he had one sitting in his closet. The guys I was with told me not to shoot it, to put it in a case at home, I told them my Dad gave it to me to shoot and I was going to shhot it!, have these gone up much since then?

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mobile steering wh parker 013.JPG (90.4 KB, 34 views)
john berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,181 Times in 12,364 Posts

Parker never used Roman numerals to identify the grade of their guns. grade stamp of V is a grade 1 or Vulcan. A grade 5 is also known as a B grade Parker. Have it checked by someone well versed in Parkers or older side-by-side shotguns for evidence of pits, dents or any other kind of mistreatment before you shoot it. Once you get the 'green light' go ahead and shoot it. The head of the stock appears to have been repaired but otherwise it appears to have been taken care of.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
Angel Cruz Ortiz
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,171 Times in 479 Posts

John, you have a VH 12 ga with 26 inch bbls. The V stands for the vulcan steel used to make the bbls. It is one of the low end shotguns as you can see by the lack of intricate engraving. It seems to be in very nive shape with good screws. It's probably in the $1500 to $2500 range. Of course having come from your pops you can forgert what it's worth, and you defenetly should take it out and shot the heck out of it. After you get that little problem resolved. I'm sure you'll get plenty of help with that from this forum. Welcome to the world of Parkers.
Unread 06-14-2009, 08:35 PM   #4
john berg
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Taken apart again

Hi all, I have taken the barrels off and put them on again, still have the same problem of not being able to break it, I keep taking the barrels off to look and see what is the problem, any help would be appreciated. You are right about value, it came from my Dads friends widow to him, my Mom gave it to the police to be destroyed as she did not want it, I found out from 400 miles away and went through a big deal with the police to get it back, hows that for a story, I'll never sell it.
Unread 06-14-2009, 08:39 PM   #5
john berg
Forum Associate

Member Info

The V I saw is above the serial #, on the watertable, so I assumed this was the grade, any information on my gun is appreciated.

John
more pics
Unread 06-14-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
john berg
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default more pics

More pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Parker dis2 004.JPG (198.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Parker Disassem 004.JPG (201.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Parker Disassem 007.JPG (190.7 KB, 28 views)
Unread 06-14-2009, 10:20 PM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,181 Times in 12,364 Posts

John, it is not, as you had stated, a VHE but, in fact, a VH. The "E" represents ejectors but yours has a simple extractor mechanism rather than the sometimes troublesome ejector mechanism. Looks like it has been standing on its heel for a long time.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote