Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Double Trigger conversion
Unread 12-20-2018, 05:34 PM   #1
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

Default Double Trigger conversion

Conversions from Single Trigger to Double trigger have been discussed on the board a few times in the past.

The switch can be accomplished on a basic level by just swapping out parts which results in the function of double triggers, but leaves evidence of the former single trigger on the trigger plate.

This is fine for most guns as heavy modification on the outside is not wanted by most owners. However, if you want to leave no evidence of the conversion having been done, you have to do things the hard way...

The pictured gun is a Repro A-1 in the white. I tig welded up anything related to the single trigger. The long trigger slot was filled in with a cut off piece from another trigger out of the parts bin and then welded. Everything was dressed down and polished out leaving the gun ready for double triggers.

Obviously the same applies to original Parker guns as well. Not just repros.

Trigger plate before.jpeg

IMG_2644.jpeg

IMG_2646.jpeg
Unread 12-20-2018, 06:03 PM   #2
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,600 Times in 984 Posts

Nice job Brian.

When I had the SST to DT conversion done several years ago to a Repro I once owned, the slot bothered me to the point I ended up selling the gun.

Here's an A-1 Special that, IMO, came up a little short. The end result would have been much better had the owner sought out your services to do it right:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19000-04.jpg (155.6 KB, 79 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 12-20-2018, 06:18 PM   #3
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Oh yeah. If you are starting with new metal, there is no reason not to do it right if the plan is established ahead of time.

That pictured gun is a good example of that. The backwards and out of line hinge pin does not help either.
Unread 12-21-2018, 08:24 AM   #4
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,600 Times in 984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
Oh yeah. If you are starting with new metal, there is no reason not to do it right if the plan is established ahead of time.

That pictured gun is a good example of that. The backwards and out of line hinge pin does not help either.
Talk about not helping out . . . How about those two unplugged screw holes under the Y-shaped area of the trigger guard? Good grief, one throws a pile of money into a project with a goal of creating a masterpiece and ends with a result like this??

"It's the itty-bitty details that make the big big difference."
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 12-23-2018, 08:25 AM   #5
Chris T.
PGCA Member

Member Info

I agree with you guys 100% on this post, it's all in the details. Hinge pin aside, if they put the screws back in the blank holes and case hardened everything to match I think that would have been an acceptable and reversible solution.
Chris Travinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2018, 11:51 AM   #6
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

Brian,

Great job on the trigger slots! Could you show us what you're doing on the other side for mounting the triggers. I know you can remove the single trigger mechanism easily, but am curious if the machining is already there for mounting the double triggers & associated spring.

I'm also curious what your plans are for the safety toggle, being as the single & double triggers use a different mortice in the stock along with different hardware in including the push rod.
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #7
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

The physical mounting of the triggers is the same on both single and double trigger plates. The mounting of the trigger spring is simply a matter of drilling and tapping a 2-64 hole in the proper place, which I have already done.
I welded up and dressed down the single trigger milling in that area on the back side but have left the milling in the forward areas. No real need to do anything there since it will not be seen and does not effect function of anything.

This particular gun is getting restocked, so the safety mechanism is of no concern. A DT jacket toggle will be inletted into the new stock in the typical fashion.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 12-23-2018, 06:03 PM   #8
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

Thanks Brian!!
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2019, 06:23 PM   #9
Ron Scott
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
Conversions from Single Trigger to Double trigger have been discussed on the board a few times in the past.

The switch can be accomplished on a basic level by just swapping out parts which results in the function of double triggers, but leaves evidence of the former single trigger on the trigger plate.
Hopefully it's ok to jump in on this thread 6 months late....

I have a couple of quick questions regarding "swapping out parts": What parts are needed and are they readily available? From where? Can any decent gunsmith perform this job if he has the parts? Or do I need to find a Parker guy?

I found a nice repro that I like except for the fact that it has a single trigger. Purchase price obviously will have to include cost of the trigger work if I can't find a double trigger gun I like -- how much would you think this job should cost?

Thanks, Ron
Ronald Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2019, 07:59 PM   #10
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

What variety of Repro did you "find" that can't be found with double triggers? There are a bunch of Repros out there.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote