Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Sporting clays with a repro 20ga.
Unread 06-06-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,888 Times in 533 Posts

Default Sporting clays with a repro 20ga.

I have been shooting sporting clays for several weeks now with my DHE 20 repro...PG-DT-SF 28" M/F Our club has registerd shoots and offers a difficult set of stations with several birds at 35-40 yards crossing fast, with a couple mini-s and a double thrown in for good measure. We shoot even stations one week and odd stations the following week. I can do well at better than half the stations and fail badly at a couple that drag my score down. I know my worst offence is shooting behind the birds and will work at that flaw. My average is arround 30 of 50 I also shoot low gun like you would in a hunting situation. I have a great time and the scores are of no merit as we are lone shooters. I would like to get into the 45 of 50 range by summers end if that is possible with my 20ga. The parker repro is working like a clock and the receiver is turning a very nice shade of antique silver. It realy looks nice on the rack! Next year Ill try a 12 or 16 for the summer and compair scores. The big test will be in Michigan on wild grouse this october.....(-: Thats why I realy shoot this game. thanks all Kenny from Ohio...
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kenny Graft For Your Post:
Unread 06-06-2009, 11:13 PM   #2
hugh rather
PGCA Member

Member Info

Those 45-50 yarders eat me alive, so do springing teal .There's no substitute for regular practice ;it really pays off in hunting season.Good luck and good shooting.
hugh rather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2009, 07:38 AM   #3
Dave Miles
Forum Associate

Member Info

Kenny, There are No Grouse in Michigan.
Dave Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
NO GROUSE?
Unread 06-07-2009, 07:51 AM   #4
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default NO GROUSE?

Last year had 10 flushes per hunt and 25 on a great day?? The state bioligist claims grouse are on the up swing. I have had reports of good numbers in PA mountains? May look into that as well. Less than five months till october...(-:
Shooting Clay
Unread 06-15-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
Greg Miller CTGunLaw
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Shooting Clay

Typical winning scores at a SxS match are usually around 80%, so if you can get to 40 you should be pretty close to the top at even championship events. I know Olympians who routinely shoot 90% with o/u race guns, but...

1. Mod/Full chokes are pretty tight for the fast short crossers and rabbits. Do you carry some 9s to open the pattern when you get a 20 yards shot. And, do you know the trick to shoot a little low on rabbits and let the debris kicked up supplement the pattern. Some of the guys in the club mix their own special spreader loads for the fast short crossers.

2. Competitive clays courses tend to combine shots where you need a lot gun of speed, and recoil is not your friend. If you are playing to win, you might want to speak to the guys at RST about some of their loads. Light recoil for fast recovery and top grade components.

3. As to shooting behind, join the club.

4. As to Teal, if they are straight up, it is just a parlor trick. You visualize where they stop, and just move your gun very slightly and pop them. If they are doubles take the lower one first then move up as the second higher target hits the top of its arc. If they are compound curving away, leads can tough to judge.

If you do start hitting 90%, come help us get our $50 back from the Fox Gang! We was hussled.
Gregory Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gregory Miller For Your Post:
Visit Gregory Miller's homepage!
clays with repro...
Unread 06-15-2009, 11:00 PM   #6
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default clays with repro...

That was sound advice...thank You. And the score thing will help build confidence....(-: I am getting better at it...and its still fun!!!
Unread 02-08-2024, 07:45 PM   #7
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,695 Times in 1,233 Posts

When we lived in Minford, Ohio on Rase's mountain, I could walk out back and hunt grouse all day long. God, those were the days!
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote