Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Thsnksgiving Weekend....
Unread 11-30-2016, 02:40 PM   #1
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,158 Posts

Default Thsnksgiving Weekend....

Had a good couple days down at home hunting with my old father and our friend Russell on his farm.

First morning I managed three wood ducks and a pair of mallards. Dad had a pair of wood ducks and a mallard.

I got extra lucky and picked up a banded bird. She apparently followed me down from Michigan, banded two months ago up around Algonac.

The second day the shooting on the ducks was a lot slower but we managed to get into the geese. Three of us ended up with our two geese each plus two wood ducks and a pair of bluebills.

The geese were interesting to say the least, something I'd never seen happen before for sure. Russell had said there were five geese coming into the pond either in the morning or evening but never both, so we had a 50/50 chance.

They came in the morning, very low, never making a sound. We got lucky and spotted them pretty far out so had a chance to get low and be ready. They circled the pond very wary, two or three times, then finally made a swing for the decoys. Just at the last second I heard a couple grunt and they all tipped up a wing to flare. Russell saw it too and called the shot, three fell as they scrambled away.

Much to our surprise the remaining three birds (the original five had brought a friend), turned to get right with the wind at the end of the pond and were going to come right back over us. I'd managed to get one shell in my gun after emptying out on the first volley.

They cut straight over and we gave them another round, killing two dead and the last taking a hard hit. I'd broken my gun right away and stuck in two fresh shells but never stopped watching the goose thinking it might fall. Well it's a good thing I kept looking, because it turned at the opposite end of the pond and swung past, giving me a long shot which I managed to make killing it at about 60 yards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1125160933d_HDR.jpg (533.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpeg 51151.jpeg (32.8 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg 51146~2.jpg (62.2 KB, 4 views)
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2016, 04:01 PM   #2
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,307 Times in 4,412 Posts

Is that the Swamp Angel? Great story
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
hunt and dog
Unread 11-30-2016, 04:09 PM   #3
Marty K.
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default hunt and dog

Destry,
It doesn't get better than that....Is that a fox red Labrador? How does he do ? and where is he from? Thanks, Marty

P.S. Great shooting!
There are some things which cannot be learned quickly, and time, which is all we have, must be payed heavily for their acquiring...They are the very simplest things and because it takes a man's life to know them the little new that each man gets from life is very costly and the only heritage he has to leave.......E. Hemmingway
Marty Kohler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2016, 04:09 PM   #4
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

beat me to the question Mills

Like a fine Hunt Destry
Unread 11-30-2016, 04:48 PM   #5
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

It is The Swamp Angel. I've got to the point, it's almost the only gun I shoot anymore.

She's certainly "red" but I've never heard Russell say much about her heritage. She's death on fowl and good in the field on pheasants as well.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Unread 11-30-2016, 05:12 PM   #6
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I think you need a tie to complete the look

Unread 11-30-2016, 05:23 PM   #7
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1126150708a.jpg (485.0 KB, 2 views)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 11-30-2016, 05:25 PM   #8
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Or this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0715151532~2.jpg (502.1 KB, 2 views)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 11-30-2016, 05:28 PM   #9
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Unread 11-30-2016, 08:10 PM   #10
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

fine hunt for sure...what load do you use in the swamp angel and is she a 3 inch gun...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote