Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread
Unread 04-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #21
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

Bill - you have over 5,000 posts. How would we find the story of your .410?
Unread 04-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #22
John Taddeo
PGCA Member

Member Info

I think there quite a few people (myself included) who can't wait to see pictures of this fantastic find.
Unread 04-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #23
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,332 Times in 4,418 Posts

How many of us are going to start going to yard sales now?
Unread 04-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #24
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,729 Times in 1,250 Posts

Down our way, the only think we're likely to find is a beat up lobster pot!
Unread 04-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #25
Wayne Johnson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
How many of us are going to start going to yard sales now?
I have often joked with my wife when passing yard sales that I was going to stop and ask...got any guns?

I may start doing just that.
John 3:16 NKJV
Unread 04-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #26
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,518 Times in 4,619 Posts

I will say that whenever I go to yard sales or estate sales, I at least ask if they have any guns for sale. Hoping that maybe they just didn't put them out.
Unread 04-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #27
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,188 Times in 12,368 Posts

I went to a yard sale in Augusta Maine about 7 or 8 years ago where the family of a deceased gentleman had a lot of his useless old stuff they didn't want or need spread out over about a dozen 8 foot banquet tables. Kathy and I went from table to table not really seeing anything we thought particularly interesting - just the usual "old guy's stuff" - until we were heading back to the car and passed by the first table we had briefly looked at earlier and I put on the brakes so hard Kathy walked right into me. There on the table was a very early Colt 1911, probably made in the teens, in nice condition with only very minor loss of blueing. The tag said $50 but I had no interest in semi-auto pistols and had no idea of their value so I passed on it. But right there on the same table was a Colt .45 revolver. This one had my interest because it also had a $50 tag on it. Turns out the revolver had a good amount of rust (or maybe dust?) in the barrel so I passed on it too.
It was only a couple of weeks later that discovered the value of that 1911..... I could have slit my wrists...
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 04-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #28
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

A WWII test pilot friend of mine here took me into his gargage before he passed away and opened a locked steel box sitting on a damp cold concrete floor in a corner. Inside was a 1918 vintage 1911 in the original leather holster on a Sam Brown belt. Pistol was in near new condition and well oiled. After he died they had an auction and they sold that box for $50, not knowing what was in it. I was sick that I never asked Randy if I could buy that Colt from him; he likely would have just given it to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 04-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #29
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,030 Times in 1,164 Posts

At an estate sale awhile back I bought literally a bag of clips for about 10 different pistols and rifles. I asked the lady running the sale where the guns were and she said they don't handle guns and had told the family they had to sell them by themselves. Bet whoever bought them wondered why non had clips.....

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Unread 04-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #30
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

I believe most people are just plain afraid to put guns out in a garage or small estate sale. When I stop I always look for hunting/fishing related gear and if I get the feeling the deceased was a sportsman I ask whom ever is running the sale about guns and/or rods. Often there are and usually they don't know what to do with them. Haven't stumbled onto anything of value but I have seen more than a few rusty turds.

I imagine anyone with enough $ to own a small-bore or high-grade gun would have a substantial enough estate as to not have it in thr driveway. Regardless, thr hunt is half the fun and you never know when you'll get lucky.
Closed Thread