Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

A Fitting End to a Parker Magnum
Unread 10-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
Steve Kleist
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default A Fitting End to a Parker Magnum

Two drake redheads fell stone dead into the decoys at the same time two broken halves of a beavertail forend fell into the blind.
My Parker was out of commission and my retirement project was ruined.
Let me back up.... A year ago when I retired, one of my "Bucket List Projects" was to make a beavertail forend for my Parker Reproduction Magnum. The gun was purchased with a splinter forend, which I do not prefer, but a functional double trigger magnum, especially one with screw in chokes, is a rare find. In northern Minnesota where I live, the winters are very, (very,) long. I completed the project, fitted the forend, and checkered the work with an ameteur's precision (very little duct tape required).
I've shot the gun quite a bit...one and a half seasons in the blind, as well as upland hunting and regular sessions at the local skeet club.
I tried glueing the halves with quality epoxy buit it did not hold. I now must replace the forend.

Does anyone know of a source for Parker Beavertail forend blanks? I am a bit of a Do-It-Yourselfer with about seven months of pushing logs into the wood stove looking me in the face. Any advice finding a blank would be most appreciated.
Thank you in advance. Steve Kleist Ely, MN

Last edited by Steve Kleist; 10-26-2009 at 09:56 AM..
Steve Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2009, 06:33 AM   #2
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,888 Times in 533 Posts

Wenig gun stocks is one. web= wenig.com You can get a reddy to final fit and checker from them in any grade of wood...$$$ thanks
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenny Graft For Your Post:
Unread 10-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
Steve Kleist
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thank you Kenny. I will follow up. A woodworker friend claims the forend is quite repairable as well. The project was fun and I may just make another. Your expertise is appreciated. Steve
Unread 10-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
Joe Bernfeld
Forum Associate

Member Info

Does your homemade forend wood fit the original splinter forend metal? I ask because if you buy a forend shaped to fit the original beavertail forend metal, it won't fit the splinter metal.
Joe
Joe Bernfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 11:15 PM   #5
Steve Kleist
Forum Associate

Member Info

Joe, Thank you for the info. Yes, I made the beavertail to fit the splinter forend hardware. If I get a prefitted new beavertail I may have to fit it even more. Your advice is appreciated. Best Fishes, Steve Kleist - Ely,MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernfeld View Post
Does your homemade forend wood fit the original splinter forend metal? I ask because if you buy a forend shaped to fit the original beavertail forend metal, it won't fit the splinter metal.
Joe