Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Foto Fridays

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
I certainly like this thread.......
Unread 10-27-2009, 09:52 AM   #11
Parker-Hawes
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default I certainly like this thread.......

Thanks to all who have contributed and posted pictures! I have been a cane rod lover since I was 17 years old and I cast my first rod in about 1965 when I was about 12. I own a few dozen and that is not very many when you consider I have been collecting and fishing cane rods for almost 35 years. As you guys probably know there is nothing like a fine bamboo rod in the hand when you are on the water. It is a lot like carrying a fine Parker in the field, it just adds depth and a certain sweetness to an already fine day. I cannot think of a more beautiful rod than a Parker Hawes. I really like Hawes tapers and I too hope to add a Parker -Hawes to my collection. My memory tells me that the ad in sportsman magazine that I have saved introduced the Parker- Hawes partnership and rod in 1929 or so and that was just before the crash because as we know the Parker gun was sold to Remington in 1933-34. The Parker - Hawes rods were sold only for a short time and in small numbers. They are tough to find and tougher in good or better original condition. I must admit too I buy and sell vintage tackle, I try to make a living doing so. I get much satisfaction putting a fine rod or reel in someones hand knowing that the connection to hand craftmanship and history is being continued. Thanks & Best,Paul
Paul D Narlesky is offline   Reply With Quote