Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-24-2024, 05:20 AM   #11
Ken Snyder
PGCA Member

Member Info

Daryl,
This is one of three guns of mine that were damaged at the Vintagers. Bob had 2 more that showed similar issues to a slightly lesser degree. We also had hard cases, a canvas covered case and our LACA table banner stand that were permanently stained/etched from whatever chemical was sprayed in the field prior to setting up the tent. As is our normal routine we cover the tables with our club covers, wipe down the guns with oil or a Rig rag and lay the guns flat folding the covers over the top so both the back and front drapes provide a double layer of fabric over the guns. We then cover and clamp the entire table with tarps to protect from condensate that often forms inside the tent overnight. When I uncovered in the morning I noticed small droplets on the metal finish. When I wiped them down again the finish was gone. I started to put two and two together when I pulled the hard cases that I had stored on the ground under the table. The cases and the table stand that was also set on the ground appeared to be acid etched. The long covers did contact the ground and must have transferred to the guns when we folded them over for the night. While these particular examples aren't the most valuable in our collections they are likely the rarest of the early Lefever partnership guns. I now need to get them fixed. I had contacted Liz shortly after the show and never received a response.
Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230930_103722.jpg (488.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20230930_103715.jpg (417.9 KB, 3 views)
Ken Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ken Snyder For Your Post:
Unread 02-24-2024, 08:29 AM   #12
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,277 Times in 2,428 Posts

Ken and Bob;

Let me contact Liz and Chad at Warrington and I'll see what I can find out what happened. I don't know what their purpose was in spraying the area before erecting the tents. That's horrible damage to your guns. Did you know of any other vendors that experienced this problem?
Unread 02-24-2024, 09:35 AM   #13
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,871 Times in 4,755 Posts

Rather than spraying a pesticide, a better move would have been to mow the grass in the tent area. By the time I walked from one end to the other, one time, I was done for the day. It was a struggle. The grass was thick and probably six inches high. Is it true that Liz didn't reply to any of the comments made by the participants? Oh, well.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 02-24-2024, 10:01 AM   #14
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,312 Times in 1,219 Posts

Just a comment I don't know what was sprayed or applied but if any I doubt it was a pesticide or caustic lye as posted on this thread. Possibly a herbicide?
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2024, 10:02 AM   #15
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,906 Times in 2,688 Posts

Better they moved the VGC to October than to step on our Rock Mountain dates again. Since we're doing the Fall Southern later in October, we'll be skipping the VGC.

Dr. Bob, does that mean you guys will be joining us in July??
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 02-24-2024, 10:45 AM   #16
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,906 Times in 2,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James L. Martin View Post
Tom, I agree. I wonder what happened to move it from Pennsylvania. Also October is grouse and woodcock season.
Yes Jim, it is grouse and woodcock season. It also begins in September in Maine. September is also the beginning of dove and October ushers in archery for deer and bear in PA. Once the calendar turns to September there's pretty much some sort of upland, big game or waterfowl hunting season open, especially in PA, through mid-April. As much as I enjoy hunting, when the weather is nice and there's a SxS tournament, the clays win out. I don't have to chase them or clean them and I can shoot 1000+ clays in a four day event. I can't do that hunting!! Someone will say Argentina. That's all well and good but not everyone has a passport or the desire to travel that far for dove and pigeon.

My point is, speaking as a range owner, there are only so many weeks to choose from to host a multi-day event. Weather is the main determining factor. Hunting seasons are something we don't really factor in as a small percentage of shooters choose birds over clays. It is what it is,
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 02-24-2024, 10:59 AM   #17
Dr Bob
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Srebro View Post
Just a comment I don't know what was sprayed or applied but if any I doubt it was a pesticide or caustic lye as posted on this thread. Possibly a herbicide?
Frank, we don't know what it was and it doesn't really matter except that it was caustic to some of the older Dangerfield and Lefever, Barber and Lefever, and Nichols and Lefever guns. These are pretty rare and re-doing the barrels is an expensive option, not to mention detracts from the original condition collectors value.
Bill Murphy is right in that the grass, hay, or whatever it is was torture for those of us with limited mobility.
Bob Decker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob Decker For Your Post:
Visit Bob Decker's homepage!
Unread 02-24-2024, 11:11 AM   #18
Ken Snyder
PGCA Member

Member Info

Frank,
I haven't made a public guess at what caustic agent was present, or for what purpose. I only reported my experiences and the hypothesis that all the damage was connected to ground contact - either directly or through transfer from the fabric covers. In the end it doesn't really matter as the result is that I need to have the guns fixed.

Daryl,
Appreciate your follow-up but I'm not thinking it'll make any difference to the end result. I contacted Liz privately to share my experience, didn't get a response, I moved on with a lesson learned.

Mike,
Standby on July.

Ken
Ken Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ken Snyder For Your Post:
Unread 02-24-2024, 11:30 AM   #19
James L. Martin
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,595 Times in 388 Posts

Mike, I understand your view ,but for me grouse wins out over clays. The real grouse season goes from the 20 Sept to mid Nov. when deer season starts. I'll shoot clays the rest of the year, too each his own.
Unread 02-24-2024, 11:32 AM   #20
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,277 Times in 2,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Snyder View Post
Frank,
I haven't made a public guess at what caustic agent was present, or for what purpose. I only reported my experiences and the hypothesis that all the damage was connected to ground contact - either directly or through transfer from the fabric covers. In the end it doesn't really matter as the result is that I need to have the guns fixed.

Daryl,
Appreciate your follow-up but I'm not thinking it'll make any difference to the end result. I contacted Liz privately to share my experience, didn't get a response, I moved on with a lesson learned.

Mike,
Standby on July.

Ken
Ken;
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease. We shall see but I promise you I will follow up.