Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Barrel markings different among Repros
Unread 06-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
Jerry McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Barrel markings different among Repros

Hello,

I just acquired a new Repro 20 ga. and found that the barrels are different than my 12 ga 2 bbl set in that there is no banner with the Parker Reproduction by Winchester script at the breach end of the top rib. The new 20 has the much plainer script on the side of the left barrel and does not include "Made in Japan".

The serial number of my 12 is around 720 and the 20 is around 900. Wondering if this was a cost saving measure when my 20 was built?

The new 20 is unfired, NIB and has an oil finish rather than glossy finish on its straight hand stock. Double triggers and 26" barrels. It is going to be hard to keep from hunting this one as everything about it is as it was when it left the factory including the box, case, and outer cover..

Jerry
Jerry McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

Interesting to say the least. The oil finish has me scratching my head. I've seen a lot of repro's, but never one with factory oil finish. Special order perhap's? I know there was a dealer that was doing some mild up-grades to repro's. If I remember correctly one of things done was an oil finish and properly cut mullered borders on the checkering.

What are the barrel flats markings?

Would love to see some pictures.
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,619 Times in 989 Posts

Repros are commonly found with either the top rib inscription or, like your new-to-you 20, on the left barrel. I have seen more having the markings on the left barrel than on the top rib and I do not recall ever seeing a 28-ga. with the markings on the rib. Does anyone own a 28 with the rib inscription?

Here's a previous thread on the (or lack of) "Made in Japan" stampings.
http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthr...ighlight=Japan
Unread 06-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
Jerry McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

The markings on the flats are what one would expect. Choke designations, Parker overload proof stamps, and serial #. Perhaps the upgraded Repro's you are referring to are the ones Kevin's did up? This is definitely not one of those. I am not sure but, perhaps a low gloss finish could have been special ordered. I'll try take some pictures that capture the finish adequately. It is excellent and a pretty darn nice stick of walnut.

I did subsequently find the Made in Japan legend in the expected place on the right barrel.

Last edited by Jerry McCarty; 06-08-2013 at 10:39 PM..
Unread 06-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #5
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

I don't believe it was Kevin's that were doing the Parker Repro upgrades (although Kevin's currently has one for sale: http://kevinsguns.com/index.php?rout...product_id=349 ), but rather wasn't it Greene's Guns that were doing them?
Unread 06-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
Jerry McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

You may be right about Greene's. it sounds familiar to me. The gentleman behind Greene's lives in my area and I just may check on this as my 12 ga Repro stock could stand to be done.

It looks like the Kevin's gun may also have been re-case colored. The asking price seems to reflect that more has been done than just the wood?

Last edited by Jerry McCarty; 06-09-2013 at 08:32 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry McCarty For Your Post:
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

The bone charcoal case coloring on the Kevin's gun is part of the upgrading that Greene's did to their upgrades, along with removing the Parker Reproduction and Made in Japan stampings, re-bluing the barrels, changing the splinter forend shape, adding mullered borders to the checkering, changing the game scene engravings, hand chasing the scroll engraving, changing pistol gripped stocks to half pistol grip (round knob) and applying an oil finish.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 06-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
Jerry McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Wild - I did not realize how extensive the upgrading was. No information on any of the advertisements I have seen on the few guns out there. I would like to see the engraving close up. The more I handle these guns the more value I realize really lays within them in almost all regards to the price point they hold in the modern double gun market. I own only two SxS's that are les than 80 years old and they are Parker Reproduction's.

-J