Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Advice on Buying My First Reproduction
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
Rud Blumentritt
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Advice on Buying My First Reproduction

I am new to this site, but I have been planning to purchase a 20 gauge Reproduction for about a year now. I am in the process of divesting of several guns in order to fund this project and am getting close. As I go through the search process I was wondering if any of you guys could share some advice on what to look for, where to look and what questions I should ask of sellers. My optimal gun would be a 20 gauge, 26" barrels, IC/M, double trigger (won't hold my breath), splinter forend and pistol grip. I definitely prefer the French walnut (light blonde with straight grain) to the Claro. Reasonable pricing (not looking for a bargain but don't want to overpay), where to look, what to ask, etc. would be much appreciated. One thing I have noticed is that many of the guns on Gunbroker, Guns America and Guns International have been sitting out there for a year. Are they just overpriced? Thanks in advance!
Rud Blumentritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

I think the ones you see on internet sales or auction sites that aren't moving are probably not generally overpriced but are, probably, not the gun that the majority of shoppers are looking for. Like you, most people in the market for a Parker Repro have specific sets of criteria that not many "for sale" Repros can fill. I have only three Repros and I paid well above market price for two of them... because they met my (fussy) set of criteria.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,101 Times in 674 Posts

Hold out for what you want and be prepared to pay the price when it comes along. Your criteria are not so stringent that it will take forever to find one. The last one I bought I looked for 5 years before I found it. Oh, I found one several years earlier but I thought the asking price was too much so I passed on it. I regretted that decision many a day.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
Holeshot
PGCA Member

Member Info

The 20 ga. repro I shoot is a lot like what your looking for. I have shot it very well. Several doubles on doves and some good skeet scores. The wood may be a little darker then what your looking for, but still pleasent to look at.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg parker 019.JPG (414.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg parker 020.JPG (413.8 KB, 9 views)
David Holes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Holes For Your Post:
Unread 04-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
Mike Murphy
Forum Associate

Member Info

The various auction and selling sites will be your best bet for getting comparable information on the specific configuration that your looking for. Make up a small chart and scour the auction and other selling sites while listing things like stated condition; your take on the wood vs your ideal; "Buy It Now" price; etc. Then buy the one that makes your socks go up & down!
I'd suggest a two barrel set as the small frames that the 20ga is built on seem to be better served by the 28" barrels. One would expect that they will also be most in demand in future years. But, in the end that's obviously your call.
Michael Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

Here is my Great Uncle's 20 gauge Repro I just acquired. The opportunity kind of fell in my lap and I was not looking to spend money on more guns, but am glad I got this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (514.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (514.4 KB, 5 views)
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 04-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

nice gun mills...i ve always wanted one of those repo s but something else kept getting bought first... i hope you find that 28 ga you want hold out till the rite one comes along... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,910 Times in 534 Posts

Your in luck....see gun broker # 336837364 It looks to be a good gun at a normal price. A two barrel set may be a better choice if you will need the longer barrels that are choked mod/full. expect to pay 8-1500.00 more for two barrel set. If you are a gun collector or gun needer it will be only your first repro...they are that nice! SXS ohio..(-:
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kenny Graft For Your Post:
Unread 04-18-2013, 06:37 AM   #9
gman
Forum Associate

Member Info

The gun on gunbroker looks to be a very nice one. I too am on the prowl for a 20 gauge. What do folks think about the grain in the wrist on that one? Any concerns?
Eric Grims is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #10
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,870 Times in 4,754 Posts

If my criteria were the same as the OP's, I would be making an offer on the GB gun. Look at his previous sales to find out how long he's been shopping this gun.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote