Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 09-13-2018, 05:52 PM   #121
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

poly chokes are ugly as sin but the best one choke ever made..i have a model 12 with a cutts on it and it does not look good either...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 09-13-2018, 11:56 PM   #122
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

Charlie,

For years I have used a 3 1/2” Browning BPS with a 30” barrel and invector+ chokes for geese and bay duck shooting. I was in Cabelas “bargain cave” about 15 years ago, and picked up a true poly choke, with the ported front that was threaded to be used on invector+guns. It adds almost 5” to the BPS, but it is a freaking anti aircraft gun for those high flying honkers!,!
Unread 09-14-2018, 03:00 AM   #123
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,359 Times in 4,428 Posts

Pretty is as pretty does
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 09-14-2018, 06:49 AM   #124
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Mark I am in agreement with you for using BPS for duck hunting. They are flat out one of the best guns ever made for it and can work for just about everything else you can think of. Nothing more dependable than a pump shotgun that your not afraid to get wet, knocked around, or get into muck. Also when it is down right awful out is the best time to be out duck hunting and I have never had my pump lock or freeze up like any semi-auto. What I like most about BPS is the safety. It being mounted in same place as typical double shotgun is perfect. For me that perfection also extends to the fact gun is bottom loaded and ejected, obviously neutral and ideal for lefty's.

For many years only owned 2 guns an 1100 and a BPS. After I got the BPS I never used the 1100 again and used that pump for everything. Loved it when in early 90's sporting clays was emerging. A few buddies of mine went and got Beretta's and I would show up with BPS and out shoot em. Even on true doubles I could work that pump so fast and gun just fit me so well it was magic.

I love old sxs's and Parker's as much as anybody, but if you follow Eyptian custom of taking what you need with into an after life and you can only take one gun, I am taking my BPS with me. Leaving my nice sxs's for others to enjoy in my absence. BTW I have been to a few funerals where someone was buried with their favorite shotguns, but they all forgot the shells. A gun with no bullets is a club, gotta take some rounds with you.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2018, 09:37 AM   #125
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,359 Times in 4,428 Posts

A BPS 12 gauge was my duck gun for years.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 09-15-2018, 12:32 AM   #126
Scott Chapman
PGCA Member

Member Info

The first shotgun that I bought with my own lawn mowing money was a 12 gauge BPS in about 1980 (the Japanese version). I am sure the it was about $275 at Oshman's Sporting Goods in Houston, Texas as my mother had to fill out whatever paperwork was required at the time. I sent the barrel off and had a poly choke installed on the 26" barrel because according to my Dad that was the thing to do. I still have that gun. It has killed a bunch of birds over the years but I would like to get a replacement early BPS barrel to switch out for that ugly Poly Choke thing.
Scott Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scott Chapman For Your Post:
Unread 09-15-2018, 06:57 AM   #127
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Its hard but I bet you can find one or an older BPS. But probably might as well just buy the whole gun since barrels are dang expensive. My first BPS was the first year Browning had come out with the Invector screw in choke and started overboring barrels. I think it was in 1982.
Unread 09-15-2018, 08:04 AM   #128
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,746 Times in 3,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Chapman View Post
The first shotgun that I bought with my own lawn mowing money was a 12 gauge BPS in about 1980 (the Japanese version). I am sure the it was about $275 at Oshman's Sporting Goods in Houston, Texas as my mother had to fill out whatever paperwork was required at the time. I sent the barrel off and had a poly choke installed on the 26" barrel because according to my Dad that was the thing to do. I still have that gun. It has killed a bunch of birds over the years but I would like to get a replacement early BPS barrel to switch out for that ugly Poly Choke thing.
1980!!?? You're making me (and I'll wager I'm not alone) feel pretty darned old!
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2018, 08:12 AM   #129
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,622 Times in 1,558 Posts

First duck i killed (a blackjack drake) was taken with a 20 gauge 11-48 with a pickle on the end
Unread 09-15-2018, 09:20 AM   #130
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Pickle. That is awesome, Never hear that term before and it is accurate trying to figure out which choke that gun is set on.