Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Baja Mexico - Black Brant
Unread 02-06-2018, 07:36 PM   #1
Scott Chapman
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Baja Mexico - Black Brant

I recently traveled with my father and brother to hunt for Pacific Black Brant in San Quintin Bay, Baja California.

I obtained a gun permit for my Trojan 12 gauge, 30" choked modified and full and was able to take along 4 boxes of RST 2 3/4", 1 1/4 oz. #4 lead.

Yes they let you shoot LEAD for waterfowl in Mexico!

The stars must have been aligned because the first bird on the first hunt (which happened to be my first ever Brant) had a blue plastic tarsus band and was taken with my Trojan.

We had a great hunting with limits of 5 a piece taken daily. The birds feed on eelgrass and they are wonderful eating.

There was a great quail crop this year and one afternoon we were able to hunt quail in the hilly, rough, dry, cactus covered country surrounding the bay.

While the 30" tightly choked Frame 2 Trojan wasn't exactly the ideal gun for running up and down (literally) those thorn infested canyons, it did the job in a pinch and proved to be very effective if I did my part.

I highly recommend this trip for something different especially if you come from cold weather country, as the low was mid 50s and the high in the low 70s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bajabandparkerresized.jpg (89.3 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg bajaquailparkerresized.jpg (52.7 KB, 239 views)
Scott Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote