Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

20 gauge parker
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default 20 gauge parker

i recieved the gun today it is a parker d grade 20 ga with damascus barrels 28 inch...i ve been cleaning on it and it dont look to bad..in fact i cleaned the barrels out hardly any pitting most was at theforceing cones..gun has a coupla dents in barrel really have to look close on the inside of barrels to see the one that shows on the inside..i demed the gun to be safe so i took and shot it 4 times at the dr pepper can at 70 steps i first shot the right barrel which is bored factory cly.did not put a shot in the can..shot left barrel which is full choke put 5 shot in the can have never had a 20 ga to put over 2 shot in the can.shot left barrel again only put 1 shot in can.this is more like a twenty at that distance..moved up to 40 step line and shot right barrel again it put lots of shot in the can..i never counted them but it was full of holes... i am vert pleased with this gun this gun does not kick much like my other russ jackson 20 ga does for some reason also have 20 lc smith that kicks and a lefever that kicks and i shoot same loads in all these gun and the lefever is a straight stock like this d grade parker is..i once read that a damascus barrel gun did not kick as bad as steel barrel guns..i just know that this gun s kick is a lot lighter than those 3 other guns..theres a lot of history already known about this gunwe know that the gun was ordered for a mister robert wood johnson of the johnson and johnson fame he was founder of this company we know it was ordered in 1902 and the stock was changed from pistol grip tp straight stock. we know it was sent back and right barrel was bored to cly..stock is nice on the gun but is not a fancy stock.probably not a parker stock it could be only you experts will be able to figure this out for me.. this is the gun i bought on the for sale site from jeff bonidier sorry bout the last name spelling jeff..i m well pleased with the gun..serial no of this gun was102433 one thing i noticed the trigger guard has been broken and repaired but a nice job in my opinion... will take pictures and send them to somebody to post for me...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Congratulations on the new Parker, Charlie. I wish you much luck on future hunts with it.
Can't wait to see the photos.

Dennis
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
OLD GEEZER
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,551 Times in 504 Posts

Charlie: I can,t wait to hear the story on your first kill with this nice 20 Parker. Thomas
Thomas L. Benson Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

will posts pictures as soon as possible its not a classey gun but the engraving is still sharp no case colors except under forearm and on the flats of the breech.. but it is a damascus barrel..mite get some of the boys who redo damascus to renew the colors someday..gun shoots fine will take out the one dent and keep cleaning on it.i will have to get me some of that majic heck cannot remember name of the stuff like still wool the boys all talk about... thomas i think i mite shoot this gun first day of squirl season it really handles well and that left barrel thats full choke really hammered that can... i still aint found out much on mr johnson..dont know if he shot this gun a lot or if some one else did...charlie
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Nice to hear you are pleased with it. Hope you kill more than just Dr Pepper cans with it.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
Eldon Goddard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
shot left barrel which is full choke put 5 shot in the can have never had a 20 ga to put over 2 shot in the can.
So much for my guess of 1 hole. Hope you have fun with the gun Mr. Cleveland.
Eldon Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #7
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,363 Times in 2,453 Posts

Welcome to the dark side Charlie, the addictive world of smallbore Parkers. (and a damascus one to boot!)
Daryl Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,363 Times in 4,429 Posts

Congratulations on a fine new gun! Would be perfect for dove hunting
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #9
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

i have a question on this 20 ga..there is a 0 stamped on the barrel lug which i know means 0 frame size but next to it is the number 8.. theres also a d and a 4 on the barrel flat i know the d stands for damascus but what does the 4 stand for..does it stand for4 grade damascus... charlie
Unread 09-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #10
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,572 Times in 1,103 Posts

Hi Charlie ,Congrats on your new Parker ,She's a beauty !! I have one similar ,I should be getting mine back from Jerry Andrews shortly ,he is removing some dings and dents for me and refinishing the Dam. Barrels ! Well this adds another twenty to the Collection for you ,enjoy Her Charlie and Good Shooting to You ! Russ
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote