Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Have Parker will travel
Unread 04-06-2017, 09:42 AM   #1
Mark Kircher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,409 Times in 293 Posts

Default Have Parker will travel

Hunting threads are few and far between this time of year so I am posting some old pics with recurring thoughts.

I have been fortunate enough to take two trips to Argentina – different venues but similar bird counts – essentially all you want. In retrospect I was a bit gluttonous, but I did restrain myself from counting and competitions to see who could stack up the most. Mostly is was just pure wing shooting without the normal breaks in between opportunities. We shot Doves, Pigeons, Ducks and Perdiz, but surprisingly, the most prized was the Parakeet! They live wild there and build nests around the telephone and electric wires on the poles. This causes failures and they are viewed as pests. I never saw bigger smiles or heard louder cheers from the guides or bird boys then when we knocked down one of the “keets.” It was all big fun and I would love to return someday.

What may prevent that from happening is the inability of taking a Parker. My first trip was in 2005 (pictures from this trip), I traveled with my 20 bore GHE 28” we flew into the Cordoba area. I remember it was smooth – customs was customs - we waited an hour or so but it was not a big deal. The next was in 2009 and things had tighten up considerably – the temperament was different. We were stopped on the highways at checkpoints and customs was not fun. I had “Connie” my 1903 20 bore DH 28” and I remember packing her carefully – I also remember the customs agent actually tossing it back in the travel case - when I reached out and commented I was reprimanded harshly. A disappointing memory from what was otherwise a special adventure.

Fast forward to 2015 and my two friends pictured in the tent photo with me went back again. They left with two guns. They returned with one. There is now an Ithaca Classic double somewhere between JFK and Argentina. A shame but a reality. I just don’t know if the political climate will ever allow me to return as I am a bit of a hard head. When I think of hunting I always think about my own gun(s). I have never really envision a hunt where I did not use my own iron. I would love to go back, but not at the expense of losing a Parker. We are still blessed here in the USA (actually all of North America) -boundless opportunities and relatively low stress for gun travel. I expect I will just hunt here for a while longer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0153_17.JPG (227.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0148_12.JPG (144.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg birds.jpg (261.1 KB, 293 views)

– Gordon MacQuarrie, The Last Stories of the Old Duck Hunters, 1985
MARK KIRCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MARK KIRCHER For Your Post:
Unread 04-06-2017, 11:40 AM   #2
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,081 Times in 1,195 Posts

I agree Mark, if I can't hunt with my guns half the enjoyment is gone.
Eric Eis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 04-06-2017, 11:41 AM   #3
Brett Hoop
PGCA Member

Member Info

I certainly understand! And that is the only reason I haven't gone.
Brett Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2017, 01:49 PM   #4
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I won't go anyplace that I can't use my own gun
Mark please consider joining us in Georgia for a Quail hunt. I know you'd enjoy it.
Unread 04-06-2017, 02:01 PM   #5
C grade
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,233 Times in 454 Posts

Mark
I started going to Argentina in 2002 and it was fantastic. We went twice a year for ducks and quail with a couple of grease hunts thrown in . It all started changing about 2010:attitude, quality of service, regulations and hassle. My last two trips were just bad and will not return. I am going down to Mexico this Nov but have been advised to not even consider bringing a gun. Wish me luck
David
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2017, 03:35 PM   #6
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,332 Times in 4,418 Posts

That is too bad. I would not entrust any of my favorite guns to the airlines. I agree with other posters that I want to use one of my own guns.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2017, 04:57 PM   #7
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,241 Times in 2,415 Posts

Not only do I want to use my own guns (Parker, Fox, etc.) I want to share the experience with my own dogs. It just ain't the same without either.
Unread 04-06-2017, 06:00 PM   #8
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,414 Times in 1,646 Posts

I am with Daryl. We are fortunate to run our Labs and shoot our Parkers and Foxes on wild pheasants over the last couple of years. Smoke cigars, drink whiskey and talk guns, politics and other adult subjects over a log fire and uncountable stars in the clear sky of South Dakota. Life with good friends canine and human and good guns is a blessing from God.
Craig Larter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post:
Unread 04-06-2017, 06:53 PM   #9
nid-28
PGCA Member

Member Info

Consider going to Uruguay! Every bit as good as Argentina and taking guns is a simple process. Ive been twice and it was a wonderful experience. I've been to Argentina 10 times but stopped taking guns about 3 trips ago. Great perdiz hunting in Uruguay also and some good pigeon venues are developing.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Davis For Your Post:
Unread 04-06-2017, 07:04 PM   #10
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,455 Times in 1,368 Posts

c.O.B. where at in Georgia?
Reggie Bishop is online now   Reply With Quote