Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Non-PGCA Shooting Events, Shows, and Conventions

Notices

Unread 03-19-2017, 08:20 PM   #11
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,381 Times in 3,073 Posts

Thanks for that Kevin. I missed not seeing you and Bill and was having flashbacks to last year's setup day. M24 was manned by neither of us this year, but we were assured we would have it back next year. Hate to loose it after all these years. I trust brothers Corona,Bishop and the other PGCA regulars kept you company.
So lets have the report; what did I miss, what did you buy, what about your compatriot?
edgarspencer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2017, 08:34 PM   #12
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,925 Times in 1,410 Posts

I bought 2 Frontier pads and a bottle of Balistol. I'm a big spender! There were a few nice Parkers there, a nice A grade 20ga. Fox, and a nice EE grade Lefever. I was tempted but I just bought a Parker last week so I passed on them.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2017, 09:44 PM   #13
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bishop View Post
I bought 2 Frontier pads and a bottle of Balistol. I'm a big spender! There were a few nice Parkers there, a nice A grade 20ga. Fox, and a nice EE grade Lefever. I was tempted but I just bought a Parker last week so I passed on them.

Well Chuck, doesn't Margaret need one? (you need to be more creative)

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2017, 10:14 PM   #14
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

Get a new dog and buy him one

That's what I do
Unread 03-19-2017, 10:34 PM   #15
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,925 Times in 1,410 Posts

Dean and Rick must have all the angles figured out.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2017, 11:20 PM   #16
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,082 Times in 2,379 Posts

Kevin and Bill's display of the big Fox guns was awesome as was the 32" 20 HE on display with the 12's. Really, a gun to die for. Good job guys.

Chuck and I spied one really high condition Trojan 12. When we were discussing the gun with the owner he stated that "The Trojans came with blued receivers". I had to shake my head at that as he had the gun priced at $1995 with the "incorrect" case hardening.

There was an AE 20 Fox which to me looked unfired in pristine condition, the EE Lefever which Chuck mentioned and a slew of Parkers, non of which floated my boat. I did check out a 20 ga. Lefever which looked really nice upon first look but when I measured the bores/chambers it turned out the chambers were lengthened to 3.5" and there was a repaired bulge on the right barrel at the muzzle. What a shame as it was 28" with over .030 in each barrel.

So, I splurged along with Chuck and bought 4 Frontier pads and a bottle of Ballistol.
Unread 03-20-2017, 08:47 AM   #17
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

I think I'll buy a couple of smallish plastic spray bottles and start buying the bottles of Ballistol rather than the rather expensive spray cans of it.

I've only ever been to the Baltimore show once, last year, but I'd sure like to get there again someday.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2017, 08:55 AM   #18
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,082 Times in 2,379 Posts

I've never used Ballistol so I thought I'd give it a try. These are 16 oz. cans that you can just screw a sprayer head directly on to the can. Cost $15 so they are more economical than the spray.
Unread 03-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #19
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
Thanks for that Kevin. I missed not seeing you and Bill and was having flashbacks to last year's setup day. M24 was manned by neither of us this year, but we were assured we would have it back next year. Hate to loose it after all these years. I trust brothers Corona,Bishop and the other PGCA regulars kept you company.
So lets have the report; what did I miss, what did you buy, what about your compatriot?
Yeah, you do NOT want to lose your place on the MACA roster! It took me 3 years to get into that show just for a display table! As you are well aware, there are no "walk-ons" for tables, but if you pay careful attention to the rules, you can luck out. Our friend John Allgood got a table last year literally 4 days before the show when several tables came open and they ran down the contact list. John was smart enough to keep in touch with the Show Committee contact they assigned him by calling up every few weeks to see if his name had advanced on the waiting list - really the only way to go.

Chuck and Daryl buzzed our booth regularly to give us updates on walk-around sellers carrying good stuff. I haven't heard anyone mention it yet, but there was an outrageous Parker $250+ grade hammer gun cased and displayed on a local dealer's table, one of the nicest I've seen in years. Also lots of buzz about the absolutely mint, probably unfired 20 ga. AE grade Fox which, so far as I know, went home with the dealer after the show. Bill bought an outstanding big bore (REALLY big!) graded Lefever that I will let him share with you when he gets home later today from the L.C. Smith shoot up in Carlisle PA. Our consortium scored a very nice condition 26" AE grade Fox as well, which we coaxed out of the trunk of a walk-around who wanted to sell us a Lefever and/or an LC Smith he was carrying around (he didn't want to walk all the way out to the parking lot to retrieve it, but we "encouraged" him enough that he eventually caved).

Daryl related in another post about the amazing dialog with the dealer who had the blued-all-over Trojan for sale - there was another one even scarier - completely blued in a super shiny finish (hot blued then buffed??) which the dealer was very proud of - $2200 firm! As always, we had a great time and I was particularly gratified to get rid of even more of my dwindling supply of geegaws and books. Missed you man!
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 03-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #20
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

I like and trust Ballistol but can't stand the odor - a fellow vendor at the Chantilly show put me on to "Eezoxx" last year - outstanding stuff but without the skunk cabbage smell. Don't know whether you can buy it in just liquid form (I've only seen the spray cans) but it is good stuff.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote