Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Restoring an old Parker
Unread 11-11-2014, 05:39 AM   #1
Christopher pacelli
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Restoring an old Parker

My father was given an old Parker Bros shotgun about fifty years ago to use as a templet to build a gun cabinet for
a customer. The shotgun had no front stock and the rear stock was cracked. After the cabinet was finished, the customer did not want the Parker back. My father held it for twenty years then passed it to me thirty years ago and it has been packed away since. Now I am thinking of restoring it but I am not sure if it is worth it. The gun needs new stocks and metal refinishing. The serial number is 1247L3 and stamped Vulcan steel. Can anyone give me an idea the cost of the restoration and any opinion about it being worth the effort. Thanks
Christopher pacelli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Christopher pacelli For Your Post:
Unread 11-11-2014, 08:06 AM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

please double check the serial number, I have never seen a Parker serial number containing a letter.

124713 would be a 12 gauge VH with 30 inch Vulcan steel barrels

how long are the barrels?

you may have a V grade, pictures would also help

what markings are on the under side of the barrels and on the action
Unread 11-11-2014, 09:06 AM   #3
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,696 Times in 1,234 Posts

Christopher, the cost of restoration is a function of many variables and you may find that the cost may well exceed the value of the gun, particularly one that is not a true family heirloom. Re-stocking would be one of the larger costs associated with any restoration. Not to mention re case coloring, re blueing, dent repairs, honing, etc. etc. If you are serious about restoring this apparent V grade Parker, you should consider packing it up and sending it to a competent gunsmith for their evaluation and cost estimate. A review of many posts on this subject will provide you with the names of many of these gunsmiths who would be willing to assist you. At the end of the day, think through why you want to do this and know that this is not an inexpensive journey. All the best.
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to allen newell For Your Post:
Unread 11-11-2014, 10:03 AM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,041 Times in 12,322 Posts

A word of caution - We have seen "Vulcan Steel" barrels on higher grade guns that had gone back to Parker Bros. for a second set or as replacements for the original barrels.

Double check that serial number.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 11-11-2014, 10:16 AM   #5
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,415 Times in 4,593 Posts

V grade guns are difficult being a field grade gun. They are rarely a money making endeavor when restoring them unless they are first bought right, and then if they are a small bore or have some very rare features.

You are in a different situation. It is a family heirloom which owes you nothing by way of money. And honestly, a good amount of people spend money on restoring guns like your even though they may not be "worth" it. If it was not for "grandpa's shotgun" a lot of firearm restorers would not get a good amount of the business they do.

Put the money subject aside. You have to look at the condition of what is left on the gun. If the barrels have nice bores and are tight, and the frame has no major pitting or engraving wear, it would be a good candidate for restoration.

It is my opinion, to get back on the money subject, that since the gun owes you nothing, if it is a good base for a proper restoration, I do not think you would be upside down on it in the end.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 11-11-2014, 10:26 AM   #6
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
A word of caution - We have seen "Vulcan Steel" barrels on higher grade guns that had gone back to Parker Bros. for a second set or as replacements for the original barrels.

Double check that serial number.
agreed - that is why I think the correct serial number and/or pictures are important to the response
Unread 11-11-2014, 12:30 PM   #7
Christopher pacelli
Forum Associate

Member Info

I checked the serial number and it is possible that the L is a 1. The number on the stock looks like 124713
Unread 11-11-2014, 12:47 PM   #8
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher pacelli View Post
I checked the serial number and it is possible that the L is a 1. The number on the stock looks like 124713
then the questions - are the barrels still 30 inches long and what condition are they in- any pitting - bad dents, rust?

if the barrels are very good - I would point you to Brian's response, a VH 12 is not a high dollar gun, but you have nothing in it so far.

talk to someone like Brian or one of the other stock makers you can find with a searchhere and see about new wood and shoot it.

it may cost a little more than actual value- but you get a good gun with a good story
Unread 11-11-2014, 05:17 PM   #9
Christopher pacelli
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hi, just measured the barrels and they are 30in. the rust or oxidation is minimal and there are no dents. Is there anyone that you could recommend to help with the restoration or give some guiding advice? Thanks for any info you can give, this is new to me. how would i send the picture

Last edited by Christopher pacelli; 11-11-2014 at 05:28 PM..
Unread 11-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #10
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

If you want the resto done right, send it to Brad Bachelder in Grand Rapids, MI.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post: