Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Remington 1894 EEO 16 Ga on Cowan auction...
Unread 05-02-2014, 09:55 PM   #1
Bill Anderson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Remington 1894 EEO 16 Ga on Cowan auction...

The Remington 1894 EEO 16 Ga listed in the recent Cowan auction has Remington steel barrels and are stamped accordingly, not ordnance. Also, the top rib is without matting.
I researched this exact gun two years ago with several pictures sent to me from the owner at that time. The barrels were in the white back then.
http://www.cowansauctions.com/auctio...aspx?id=138789

With that said, I hope the new owner doesn't really know what he bought, or knows, and wants to find ordnance grade barrels for it
There were other mistakes made with a couple of other Remington doubles on the same auction.

Bill
Bill Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2014, 10:31 PM   #2
Jim DiSpagno
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 2,573 Times in 774 Posts

And he paid a premium at $17,250.00 plus 20%
Jim DiSpagno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2014, 10:50 PM   #3
David Noble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,090 Times in 386 Posts

Bill, I'd be interested in hearing about the mistakes on the other Remingtons in the auction.
David Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 08:18 AM   #4
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Somebody said there are no stupid questions so here goes. The description says it has ordnance grade barrels. What are these specifically? Why do you feel they aren't correct? These higher grade Remingtons are very nice guns and something I have overlooked so I'd like to learn more.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 09:36 AM   #5
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,798 Times in 1,368 Posts

Remington produced the model 1894 with two types of fluid steel barrels, Ordnance was one and barrels were stamped as such. E grade is one of the highest graded Remingtons, an EEO would be E grade, Ejectors, Ordnance Steel barrels. When Charles Semmer wrote his book there were only 17 known E grades. This 16ga gun is featured on page 190, it is listed as an EEO and is noteable for being the only one known with spearheads on the cheek panel. The barrels of this gun in pictures of it on the auction site show Remington fluid steel barrels, not Ordnance. Semmer's book does not show the barrel stampings. So the question is, is it an EE grade with Remington Steel barrels or was it an EEO grade that has been rebarreled. I suspect the former as many folks not familar with Remington doubles think fluid steel = Ordnance steel.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post:
Unread 05-03-2014, 10:35 AM   #6
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,830 Times in 2,362 Posts

Generally speaking on Remington Hammerless Doubles with Ordnance Steel barrels, the word ORDNANCE is stamped on the top of each barrel on AO-/AEO- and BO-/BEO-Grades and is engraved on CO- and higher grades. Remington Steel barrels were generally not marked. To my eyes, every Remington Hammerless Double in that auction that I looked at had issues. That auction did have more Remington Hammerless Doubles then I've ever seen in one place.

As originally introduced the Remington Hammerless Doubles were only offered with various grades of Damascus barrels. The Ordnance Steel and Remington Steel barrels were added to the offerings in 1897.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 12:15 PM   #7
Bill Anderson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Noble View Post
Bill, I'd be interested in hearing about the mistakes on the other Remingtons in the auction.
Of the auctions that I reviewed, the two that caught my attention are lot # 1026, which is listed as a CE grade, when actually it is a D grade gun. And lot # 1027 listed as 1876, when actually it is a 1873, which is the only model with the sliding plate which brings the hammers to half cock when you push up on the top lever. There may be more mis-listed items, but haven't gone through them all yet.

Bil
Unread 05-03-2014, 01:31 PM   #8
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

So with the Remington guns the difference in barrel steel is similar to the differences in Parker barrels as far as nomenclature goes, Vulcan vs Titanic for example?
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #9
Bill Anderson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
So with the Remington guns the difference in barrel steel is similar to the differences in Parker barrels as far as nomenclature goes, Vulcan vs Titanic for example?
Yes, that is correct. Ordnance steel was introduced by Remington in 1897, at an extra cost of $10.00, and was recommended for use with heavy charges of nitro powder.

Bill
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 05-03-2014, 02:07 PM   #10
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,830 Times in 2,362 Posts

Remington's ORDNANCE Steel was always higher priced. When Remington introduce their John M. Browning designed Remington Autoloading Gun and their John D. Pedersen designed Remington Repeating Shotgun, they came with a Remington Steel barrel. For $6.75 extra, one could get your Autoloading Gun or Repeating Gun with an ORDNANCE Steel barrel --

On the Remington Hammerless Doubles the ORDNANCE Steel barrels were the same price as the Damascus barrels on the C-quality and above guns, but were $15 extra on the lower grades. List prices from the 1903-04 Remington Arms Co. catalogue --

Grade A ..............$45
Grade AE.............$50
Grade AR.............$45
Grade AER...........$50
Grade AO.............$60
Grade AEO...........$65
Extra barrels for AEO....$40 Extra barrels for AO...$37.50
Grade B...............$60
Grade BE.............$65
Grade BO.............$75
Grade BEO...........$80
Extra barrels for BEO....$47.50 Extra barrels for BO....$45.00

For all other grades extra barrels were half the price of the gun.

The Remington Steel barrels were only offered on the A-quality guns and after 1900 on the K-grades.

According to Semmer, some very late guns were produced with Krupp Steel barrels, but I've never seen one.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post: