Unread 08-18-2017, 10:35 AM   #1
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,099 Times in 673 Posts

Default Wonder How Many Grouse They Eat

I'll bet more than a few!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010868.jpg (505.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg P1010893.jpg (532.6 KB, 3 views)
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 08-18-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
James Brad Rhodenizer
PGCA Member

Member Info

I just wanted to update you on the West Nile survey we did in Va. last year. We had less than 3% positive in our blood samples. We will be doing the survey again this year, but it does not seem to be as bad as Pa. good luck this season and take care of the kitty.
James Rhodenizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #3
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,771 Times in 2,005 Posts

Gary, I bet they get their share, they are so sneaky. I have seen bobcats several times while bowhunting on my farm in Ohio, and you cant have a trail camera out anywhere around here without mutiple pictures, often of several different cats. I suspect the bobcat population is far greater than we would think
Unread 08-18-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hmm, good news for Va. Perhaps I need to plan a trip.
Another Denizen Of The Woods
Unread 08-18-2017, 12:01 PM   #5
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Another Denizen Of The Woods

I like to begin getting serious about dog conditioning this time of year. A few days ago this guy was sunning right where I planned to run the dogs. I found a new place to run! Did manage to get a grouse pointed on a very short run so West Nile did not get them all, yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rattler.jpg (558.8 KB, 5 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 08-18-2017, 05:42 PM   #6
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

We have lotsa cats and badgers here. I bet they eat their fair share of chicks and eggs. On a good note, the DNR told us the grouse numbers should be up this fall.
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Mark Landskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2017, 09:44 PM   #7
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

ther s lot s of bobcats around my area..wnen i was a boy you were lucky to see a bobcat in a life time...our biggest problem we have in the south is fire ants...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2017, 05:13 PM   #8
Tenth Legion
PGCA Member

Member Info

Bobcat and gray fox numbers are up here in Maine. Looks like another good hatch for ground nesting birds. August wild turkey brood survey has yielded 94 gobblers, 82 hens and 292 poults. Had a very friendly young male partridge visit our rock picking expedition yesterday near shore of Sebago Lake. He entertained us for quite a spell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0060.jpg (537.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0051.jpg (479.9 KB, 2 views)
Unread 08-22-2017, 10:14 AM   #9
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,195 Times in 891 Posts

I suspect they take there share of Grouse and they also prey heavily on Wild Turkeys. Here in NH we have had a population explosion of Bobcats which the Fish and Game Department attributes directly to the large Turkey population that we have now.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2017, 09:35 AM   #10
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

BTW a great read if your a fan of Daniel Boone and reading about some his exploits is a Biography called Life of Daniel Boone. I cannot remember the author will have to dig the book out again. However, it was actually written in mid 1800's but never published until the 1990's. The author was a historian that finished someone else's work but kept the same style of technical writing biographers from that era. Needless to say, it is an arduous style to read with documented interviews and accounts from direct sources and family members that knew the man. It can be quite wandering.

Anyway enough of the preface to my point, essentially about 250 years ago Kentucky looked about like what a good bit eastern woodlands were before the europeans settled the area. It documents at how much game the woodlands would produce and support. Turkey flocks in the 100's, deer everywhere, even tremendous herds of Buffalo and elk until the market hunters and settlers with no limits or seasons just decimated the game populations in a very short period of time.

Things are always changing even if you try and manage portions of it cause and effect are hard to identify, regulate or correct. There are some great success stories, mostly nowadays about turkey and deer populations, some species may find it too hard to get back to a thriving wild population like bob white quail. Different reasons for success of that wild population.

Grouse populations actually benefit from mans logging activities. Game numbers, management and hunter roles in all aspects are critical and complex. I like it where biologists say drum counts are up 57% from last year. Makes no mention of where it is in the 7 to 10 year cycle. If you look at the actual numbers that could mean last years drum beat was 3 and this years was 4.8. Anticipation is an incredible aphrodisiac and market force.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post: