Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 10-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #61
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,907 Times in 4,772 Posts

Researcher, good catch on the aftermarket ejectors. Apparently, when the barrels were installed at Remington, a new forend was installed, and not engraved up to the level of the rest of the gun. However, the checkering pattern on the forend is up to the grade of the gun. That would lead us to believe that the engraving was not done at the same time the barrels and forend were installed. Mr. Scores, in the late Remington era, the grade and chamber length designation was stamped on the side of the barrel lug. This set of barrels was probably set aside for installation on a V Grade gun when manufactured. Rebarrelled guns often carried the V Grade designation as yours does.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #62
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,616 Times in 2,667 Posts

Ron, there is a forum protocol which we all had to learn. Typing all in caps is the same as yelling, the bigger the type, the louder the yell. We cut you some slack because we could see that you are new at it.

Bill, you see that the V barrels have extractors on them.....

I have a rebarrelled CHE 16 with the Rem barrels, not marked graded, just SN'ed to the gun and the date repair code. Wish I had the original damascus.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 02:03 PM   #63
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

This is the first time I've seen a set of 1/2 frame barrels installed on a #1 frame gun, but my DHE 16 is the first time I had seen a set of #1 frame barrels installed on a 1/2 frame receiver. Have any of our members ever seen a set of 1/2 frame barrels without automatic ejectors, as on Mr. Scores' gun?
Remington Parkers
Unread 10-04-2011, 04:11 PM   #64
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default Remington Parkers

Bill; I remember an early Parker, with 1/2 frame barrels mounted, at Las Vegas several years ago.
I no longer have the Remington correspondence I used to prepare the PP articles on shut down of the Parker operation, but I have some memory of it.
Ilion barrels were made on Remington machinery,
Ilion barrels carried no steel trade mark. A started gun could be finished to any grade ordered.
Complete sets of Parker parts were furnished to Lefever and Griffin and Howe
There were shortages of frames and fore end irons
Parkers were still priced without ejectors in the paperwork, but there were none in the last 100 odd started guns

Parkers were made and/or upgraded by the Remington Custom Shop for Remington directors, officers, and employees.

Best, Austin
Austin W Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #65
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,582 Times in 3,118 Posts

Bruce, I know what you mean about Colts and their values. I have been a student of SAAs for over 50 years and will always be just a student. It shouldn't be any mystery to you that a worn 1st gen will be worth twice what a new one costs. The mystery lies in the fact that 3 seemingly identical worn first gens can be valued from $2k, $6k, and +$20k. I have had over 50 of them and still have many. Like the hammer "Wall Hanger" the BP framed guns can be shot, with care. I sold one just this week, but you'll be proud of me; it was to fund a Parker purchase.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #66
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,616 Times in 2,667 Posts

So Austin, is the engraving and stock work on the Scores gun likely Lefever work? I've seen fleur dis lis before like that on guns that were attributed to Lefever, but I'm too distant to them and too far from Parker centers to really know.

I've seen a few Lefever guns said to be done by that shop but you fellows back there see many more than ever find there way out here to the Parker desert.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #67
Jim Akins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Wonder what the machined slots are for on the front of the action? The forend lug on the barrels have a 2 stamped, usually the sign of a 2 barrel set, maybe another set of barrels and forend with ejectors?
Jim Akins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #68
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Ron, I would be interested in buying a Parker with Roosevelt provenance. The Teddy Roosevelt Fox shotgun sold for a pretty good price, and that was only a Fox, not a Parker.
Unread 10-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #69
RON SCORES
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bill, I am not sure how this can be proved it is a longshot but i now from his family member they were buddy buddy. Maybe the research letter will help? Remington would have no records to seek? Now your thoughts on the engraver Runge? who is this Lefever others are speaking of? Where would be you next point of attack be? thanks again to you and all the other members everyone has been very helpful
RON SCORES is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #70
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Bruce: What are your thoughts on the butt stock? Would an "after-market" stockist have stamped the SN?

Ron: Is there also a single digit or letter under the SN on the wood?? Could you take a close-up pic of the area?