Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 01-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #31
ahfoxman
PGCA Member

Member Info

Good Morning Chris, I would be very interested in your copy of Senator Hawes' book if you should decide to part with it. I only have the one Becker, a 26" 20 ga. and the monogramed vc case it spent its life in. Every so often, the single trigger will miss tripping, but I don't have the nerve to move the original untouched screws to clean it, so maybe one time in 50 or so it will be a single shot. It is getting better with use though. There is also a long barreled companion Becker of Senator Hawes' out there somewhere that has surfaced and was in, or maybe is still in, a well known collection??? I only recently got back to semi-serious hunting (translation: about 3 hours in the woods puts me on the DA list) after successful minor back surgery and some new meds. Will Rogers had it right in that 'getting old isn't for sissies', Ahhhh, but Life is Good!
Tom Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #32
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,892 Times in 4,767 Posts

Chris, sorry for the flub. I saw the initials (CSL) and assumed your name was Patrick!
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #33
CSL
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Chris, sorry for the flub.
----------------------------------------

That's ok Kevin, sometimes I get things mixed up too...

Best, Chris ~ CSL
Unread 01-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #34
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,044 Times in 1,173 Posts

I'm glad the origin of this case of shells was cleared up. It was an interesting idea that they might have belonged to Nash but since he died in the late 60's and continued to hunt waterfowl until not long before his death I'd had my doubts.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #35
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

There was never any mystery to be solved about the "origin of the shells". They came from Marse Henry's house.
Unread 01-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #36
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Your initial post on this thread called them "Nash Buckingham's Last Case of Lubabloy" or something to that effect. Hence my comment about the origin of the case, they did come from Marse Henry but they probably weren't ordered for Nash.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Unread 06-04-2018, 01:39 PM   #37
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

So Destry's name will be deleted from the list of those interested in a box of the Bartholomew ammunition stash, at his request. I see that Dave Noreen doesn't choose to be on the list either. However, I will be offering Harry B. Hawes' 20 gauge Model 21 for sale at the Northeast Side by Side shoot. It is a 1933 Tournament Grade two barrel set, restocked at the factory in fifties vintage style, and probably reblued at the same time. The barrels are 30" Full and Full, and 26" WS1 and WS2. The gun is lettered 1933 to Parker Whelen, 14th Street, N.W. Washington, D.C. for delivery to Harry B. Hawes. This Harry Hawes lettered Model 21 has more provenance than the Bartholomew shells, I think. No Cody letter on the ammunition, only my opinion that John Olin may have been gifting ammunition to Nash Buckingham because of his contribution to the early and continued research on those shells, but hardly to Henry A. Bartholomew, who John Olin probably never met. Oh, well, I enjoy my own "stuff" and don't feel the need to force others to enjoy the same "stuff". I'm glad I have not been caught badmouthing the collections or interests of others. I've just never seen the need to do so. I like everybody's "stuff".
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
John and Henry
Unread 06-04-2018, 03:09 PM   #38
ahfoxman
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default John and Henry

John Olin was a Very close friend and visitor to Oxen Hill. In fact, he had a '21 trigger guard made with a gold inlay that exactly matched Eisenhower's '21 and gifted it to Henry. Life is Good, Remember; Treat it with Respect!
Tom Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Kidd For Your Post:
Unread 06-04-2018, 04:01 PM   #39
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Tom, thanks for the information about JMO's relationship with Marse Henry. I agree that "Life is good and treat it with respect". I respect everyone's interests and collections. I wish those who have posted on this thread had the same feelings. I, like Tom K, am in my seventies and don't have a long time to go. I have not and will not disrespect any collecting interest or collections of any of our companions, and I would expect the same from them.
Unread 06-04-2018, 05:04 PM   #40
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

I don't need a box of the shells because I already have a box just like them, it's just that simple.

Destry