Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Update
Unread 07-14-2015, 05:41 PM   #21
Frank Wilson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Update

Last Friday morning I arrived at Wenig's shop in tiny Lincoln, Missouri with my plank of walnut that I hoped these folks could help me turn into a nice looking stock worthy of this fine gun. I really didn't know what kind of service experience I was in for considering I was there asking them to correct a mistake. Just a caveat that in no way am I someone that could ever be mistaken for anything close to an expert in gun stock making or restoration in general; just a DIY junkie that has always had an affection for old American doubles that has been bitten by this restoration bug. And admittedly, I have no frame of reference within which to judge my experience with Wenig as I have no doubt there are many fine individuals and small companies in this industry that do great work and deliver outstanding customer service. That said, these guys could not have been more accommodating and friendly to my wife and I during our 2 1/2hour visit. Luke Chambers took us around and introduced us to most all of his small staff of about 15 employees and let us observe and ask questions as they performed their particular craft. The experience of each employee, from carving to finishing and everything in between, was obvious even to my untrained eye. The gentleman who did most of the fitting had honed his skills over 42 years and was happy to share some key tips with me. I must say the visit alone was worth the trip to beautiful central Missouri. As for my stock, they took the time to make sure I was happy with the section of my plank they would be carving that would likely produce the strongest and most aesthetic grain and figure. Long story short, these guys more than made up for their mistake in my mind and of course, didn't charge me another dime. I'll post a pic tonight of the semi-inletted stock with correct pistol grip they duplicated from the existing stock. I couldn't be more pleased with the final product I wound up with.
Frank Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Wilson For Your Post:
Unread 07-14-2015, 06:11 PM   #22
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,545 Times in 4,623 Posts

I woildnt use that straight grip stock without some sort of reinforcement in the wrist. The grain flow in that stock is horrible.
Unread 07-15-2015, 01:56 AM   #23
Frank Wilson
Forum Associate

Member Info

I completely agree Brian. In their defense, I didn't leave them much choice on that first one as I shipped them a blank that I failed to give proper consideration to the grain flow through the wrist when I cut it from the plank. I suppose their mistake turned out to be a stroke of luck and gave me a second chance as I've since gained a better appreciation for the significance of proper grain flow. Below is a pic of the pistol grip stock they carved from a much larger plank of seasoned walnut I provided using the current stock as a pattern. Fairly straight grain through the wrist with some nice figure and a little feathering that should really jump out when finished. Very consistent pattern on both sides. Note the rough excess material toward the head of the stock was at my request in hopes of being able to shape this area correctly since the existing (non-original) stock is either very worn or never had the clean sharp lines in the first place. image.jpg
Frank Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Wilson For Your Post:
Unread 07-15-2015, 07:08 AM   #24
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,545 Times in 4,623 Posts

That is much better layout. Will make a great stock.